Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2019 Tailgate Fare Week 5

+3 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 26, 2019 at 10:39am
24 Comments

Happy Thursday morning from the Flint Hills Region, where we're not just one of the world's best locations to see the sunset, we're also a two-hour drive from the site of Saturday night's expected corn shucking. Being this close to the University of Nebraska has its advantages.  OK, it has one advantage and that is being able to make an easy drive to watch the Buckeyes play whenever they come calling.  And, in recent years, the basketball schedule has been very kind to me and Little 3M.  

But, this is about food.  And, this week I'm bringing you something that will make Kevin Harrish go scrambling for a toilet.  But, before we get to that, a brief public service announcement. 

• Don't forget the Bye Week Community Extravaganza is coming up in just two weeks!  That's when we turn it over to you.  Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?  Send it to me via the contact link in my profile, and in two weeks you could see your recipe featured in TGF, like NorCal, when he graced us with this delicious Smoked Pulled Pork Chili recipe.

Now, let's get to it.  This week, I am bringing you a recipe that my wife got from a German friend of hers, and when I tried it, I was surprised how good it was.  So, what do I do? I ask for the recipe so I can share it with you fine folks.  Sorry Kevin, you can add this to this season's list of reasons to hate Nebraska.

Bierocks

INGREDIENTS

Dough

• 1 package active dry yeast
  • 2 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup salted butter (melted)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 10 cups all-purpose flour

Filling

• 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 cups cabbage
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 

Prep time: 25 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes

DIRECTIONS

• Add yeast to a large mixing bowl, then add warm water and whisk for about 10 seconds. 
  • Let sit for 10 minutes, until it looks frothy.
  • Microwave the milk for about 20-30 seconds to warm it up. 
  • Melt butter and set aside.
  • When the water and yeast are frothy, add in the warm milk and melted butter. Mix for about a minute.
  • Add sugar and eggs and mix well.
  • Begin adding flour, one cup at a time.
  • When the dough begins to thicken, switch from the whisk to the dough hook and continue adding flour until all 10 cups are added.
  • Scoop out the dough and place on a floured surface.
  • Knead for 2 minutes.
  • When you've kneaded the dough into a well formed ball, place it in an oiled bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for about one hour.
  • Chop the onion and cabbage.
  • Place in a large frying pan with butter and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat, stirring often.
  • Brown the hamburger and drain.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat and cabbage, onion, salt and pepper.
  • Add shredded cheddar cheese and mix.
  • After the dough rises, separate into 18 balls of dough.  Roll them each flat on a floured surface as you prepare the Bierocks.
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Scoop about 1/2 cup of the combined filling into the dough.
  • Fold the dough around the filling, pinching to close.
  • Place it on parchment paper, seamed side down.
  • Brush the tops with melted butter, if desired.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.

PRO TIPS

• The key to a dough that rises properly is using warm temperatures of liquid ingredients. If it’s too hot, it won’t rise.
  • Parchment paper is a boss on most days, but it is pretty critical on this one.
  • Rotate the baking sheets halfway thru cooking to balance the cooking of each Bierock.
  • Feel free to throttle back on the cabbage; Mrs 3M thinks some diced jalapenos are a good substitute in this recipe.
  • Don't be skimpy with the cheese.

I hope you enjoy these tasty treats, and don't listen to Kevin, they're really good!

Go Bucks!

Week One - Cuban Sandwiches
Week Two - Pizza Waffles
Week Three - Sugar Cream Pie
Week Four - Hangover Sliders

Previous editions of Tailgate Fare can be found here.
Previous editions of Gameday Meals can be found here.
The official 11W Community Tailgate Cook Book can be found here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments