Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2017 Tailgate Fare Bye Week Community Extravaganza

+7 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
October 19, 2017 at 10:30am
51 Comments

Welcome to the Bye Week phenomenon known as the Community Extravaganza!

Each season, I’ve taken to turning over the feature recipe to you – just send it in.  This year, I decided to take it up a notch.  I hit the archives and pulled up some of my all-time favorite shares from the first 2+ seasons of TGF.

There have been a lot of great recipes shared in the comments in years gone by, and a few of my favorites will be found below this year's winner. 

Without further ado, I present (in his own words):

NorCal's Smoked Pulled Pork Chili

This is a simple recipe that is perfect for football game days, especially as the temperature drops outside.  The recipe serves 2-4 people (depending on how hungry they are) and can scale up to accommodate groups of any size.

Ingredients:

• 1-2 lbs of smoked pulled pork - adjust to your preference (see pulled pork recipe below)
  • 10 oz can of Rotel (use "Chili Fixin's version if available)
  • 15 oz can of pinto beans drained and rinsed

Spices (to taste):

Garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, ancho powder, cumin, ground mustard.  Chipotle & ancho powders used instead of cayenne & american chili powder.  Add spices to taste; you really can't mess it up.

Steps:

• Add all ingredients to a covered pot and let simmer, stirring occasionally.  That's it.
  • I'll usually add the ingredients before kick-off, sample with chips during timeouts, and eat at half-time.  Pairs perfectly with a cold Lagunitas IPA.

Notes:

• The chili goes really well with tortilla chips to scoop (Costco 2.5# bag of corn tortilla chips for the win) and a cold drink to help with the heat.
  • I typically make double this (2-3 lbs meat, 2 cans of Rotel and 2 cans of beans) so I have plenty of leftovers to freeze for days I want a quick lunch for work.

Smoked Pulled Pork

Hat-tip to Meathead at amazingribs.com.  Pork rub and steps adapted from his site.

Probably the easiest and most forgiving cut of meat to smoke is pork shoulder butt.  You can go low and slow, or you can hit it hot and fast.  I use the "Texas Crutch" to keep the meat from stalling and drying out around 150F (due to evaporative cooling).

Ingredients:

• Pork shoulder butt (do not use a lean meat like tenderloin)
  • Pork rub - brown sugar, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, ancho powder, mustard powder, cumin  (amounts in descending order)
  • Wood - apple, cherry or a blend of the two are my favorite for pork

Directions:

Trim the extra fat and coat liberally with your pork rub and smoke between 200-275F, or if you'd like as hot as 325F.  Smoke until you hit ~203F internal temperature, which you'll notice the meat gets "probe tender".  Spray occasionally with water or apple juice to keep moist and also increase smoke absorption.  I recommend wrapping the meat in aluminum foil when it hits ~150F to avoid the "stall".  The meat has most likely absorbed as much smoke/flavor as it's going to after 2-3 hours and it the foil keeps the pork moist.  You can also finish the wrapped meat inside in your oven if you have other items to put on the grill.  Once finished, pull the meat with bear claws and immediately serve (once pulled it'll dry out fast).  Save the juices/drippings to pour over the served meat or add to containers before refrigerating/freezing (crucial).  Put leftovers in 1-2 lb bags for a quick meal (pulled pork sandwiches, chili, etc...)

And, now for some greatest hits:

For people who like their greatest hits less like this, more like this.

Deep Fried Tequila Shots

Contributor: RubixTube

INGREDIENTS

• Angel Food Cake/Pound Cake/Sponge Cake
  • Lime zest (garnish)
  • Powdered sugar
  • oil (for frying)
  • tequila
  • Sugar (garnish)

DIRECTIONS

• Cut the cake into small squares, dip in tequila, drop in oil until golden brown.
  • Remove from oil, place on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil, sprinkle w/powdered sugar.
  • If you want the presentation bonus, roll the rim of a shot glass in sugar/lime zest & throw your tequila bites inside (pictured)

RubixTube also dropped a couple other gems, like this recipe for Mango Avacado Salsa.

If anyone wants to drink their alcohol instead of eating it, NavyBuckeye91 has you covered with a delicious concoction called Ashley Punch.  Drink as much as you like, because Hove just so happens to have you covered with a little hair of the dog that bit ya.

And, if you’d like a little something for your sweet tooth, try this delectable cookie brownie cupcake thing.

Contributor: KBonay

INGREDIENTS

• Pre-made cookie dough
  • One box of brownie mix
  • Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups

DIRECTIONS

• Preheat oven to 350. 
  • Smoosh cookie dough (chocolate chip preferred) into bottom of each muffin well. 
  • Place (1) Reese Cup upside down on top of cookie dough. 
  • Top with prepared box brownie mix. 
  • Try to keep well 3/4th full.  Bake for ~18 minutes. 
  • Side note- They do better if you let them cool for some time (and harden up).  Just stick them in microwave for ~10 seconds.

Feel free to share more of your great recipes below!

GO BUCKS!

Previous Editions

Week 1 – Bacon Wrapped Pickles
Week 2 – Chipotle Hummus
Week 3 – Chili Mac
Week 4 – Spinach Dip
Week 5 – Crock Pot Potato Soup
Week 6 – Pretzel Bites
Week 7 – Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip

2015 & 2016 Recipes can be found here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments