Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2016 Tailgate Fare Open Week Community Extravaganza (Week 4)

+7 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 22, 2016 at 12:32pm
66 Comments

Last year, we took advantage of the bye open week, by hosting a community extravaganza where Dubbers shared their favorite recipes.  So, I thought that we'd run it back out there again this week, since we have only sadness no Buckeye football on the horizon this weekend.

Since the open week snuck up on me this year, I didn't have a chance to get a volunteer to showcase the post.  So, I'm going to share a couple of simple tailgate regulars - Macaroni Salad and Deviled Eggs.

These are two recipes that I was taught by my mom, and they're each made from scratch, and flavor-to-taste recipes, so the quantities are never measured.  But, I'll try to explain, as best I can.

Macaroni Salad

INGREDIENTS

1 Box Elbow Pasta
Miracle Whip
Mustard
One medium onion
4-6 Celery stalks
2 Hard boiled eggs (if desired)
Salt
Pepper
Sugar

DIRECTIONS

• Cook the pasta until tender, not al dente, but be careful not to overcook.  Drain, and cool by running cold water over the pasta in a colander in the sink.
  • While the pasta is cooking, dice the onion and set aside.  Dice the celery stalks, which I do by quartering them, and then dicing them.  (It seems to provide consistent size to the diced onion.)  I prefer to have the same amount of onion and celery.
  • If the eggs are desired, quarter the eggs, place in a bold and use a fork to mash the eggs to the desired size.  I prefer the whites to be in smaller pieces.
  • Place the cooled pasta in a large mixing bowl.  Add a liberal amount, approximately 3 cups, of Miracle Whip.  Add approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mustard.  (I just squirt it in there.)
  • Add some salt and pepper, and a pinch of sugar (this was my mom's secret ingredient), then add the onion and celery. 
  • Mix thoroughly, to a desired consistency, which is a little bit soupy, because the pasta will absorb the moisture from the Miracle Whip and mustard as it sits.
  • Taste for the flavor you desire.  I prefer less mustard bite, so I cautiously add mustard as I go.  You will most likely have to add more Miracle Whip as well.
  • Let sit overnight.  It will likely be dry the next morning, as the moisture gets absorbed in the pasta (which is the main reason you don't want to overcook the pasta, it can ruin it).  Add Miracle Whip, and any other flavors, to desired taste and consistency, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Deviled Eggs

INGREDIENTS

One Dozen eggs
Miracle Whip
Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Sugar

DIRECTIONS

• Boil the eggs by desired method.  I cover mine in water, bring to a boil uncovered; remove from heat when fully boiling; cover, and let sit for 20 minutes.  Then, place the pot in the sink and run cool water in it until the water is cool.  Let sit until the eggs cool down.
  • Carefully peel the eggs, because presentation matters. 
  • Slice eggs longwise, and carefully discard the yolk in a bowl.
  • Place the sliced egg halves in the container, or on the dish they'll be stored on for optimum results.  Handling the whites less is desired.
  • Use a fork to mash the yolks completely.  Try to get them as fine as possible.
  • Add a generous amount of Miracle Whip, and then add mustard.
  • Add salt and pepper, as desired. 
  • Add a pinch of sugar.
  • Sprinkle in paprika.
  • Mix thoroughly, to a desired consistency.  I make mine a little thinner than peanut butter.
  • Taste the mixture, stir thoroughly, and taste again. 
  • When you've reached the desired taste, spoon the mixture into the egg halves.  I try to go easy at first, to ensure I have enough for all of them.  You can always add a little more later.
  • Refrigerate until ready to serve.

PRO TIPS

• If you're making them both together, you can used any eggs damaged in peeling for the macaroni salad (which I did last night).
  • If the macaroni to celery & onion ratio seems lopsided, add more pasta. I typically find myself doing this. 
  • If you add too much mustard, you can cut the taste of the mustard by adding more sugar.
  • When adding a flavor as dominant as mustard, do so gradually.  You can ruin a dish.
  • Flavor to taste dishes are all about preference, so keep adding until you get it right.

So, there you are Dubbers, a couple of recipes my mom taught me that I know by heart.  You can add them to any tailgate, or summer BBQ.  I hope they turn out well for you.

So, let us have your favorite recipes.  This week, it's all on you!

Previous Editions:
Week 1 - Cucumber Spaghetti Salad
Week 2 - Hurricanes
Week 3 - BBQ Chicken Burgers

2015 Tailgate Fare

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 66 Comments