Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2017 Tailgate Fare Week 4

+15 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 21, 2017 at 11:24am
69 Comments

So, just to recap the week – Ohio State beat Army, the offense looked like they made some improvements racking up big yards relative to their time of possession, and that still isn’t good enough?  Well, let me tell you what good enough, this recipe is. 

Last weekend, Mrs. 3M threw together a hell of a spread.  She tried a new recipe and I’m passing it along to you.  It is easy and delicious!  So, basically, the ball is in your court. 

I’ll be traveling for Little 3M’s soccer match Saturday, so thankfully there’s just a scrimmage against UNLV on tap (and for BTN to go).  So, sit back, enjoy the game, eat some tasty treats, and drink some adult beverages of your choice.  But, remember, what happens at the tailgate, stays at the tailgate.

Spinach Dip

INGREDIENTS

1 (10 oz.) package of chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed the life out of (drained)
1 (16 oz.) container of sour cream
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 package of dry vegetable recipe (soup) mix *You can usually find this by the dry broth mixes, and dry onion soup mixes
1 can of sliced water chestnuts - drained
1/2 cup of chopped green onion - optional
1 Sour Dough bread bowl
Dipping Items - Extra bread - like French Bread - cubed

DIRECTIONS

• Grab a big bowl and mix the first 6 ingredients
  • Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour, or up to 2 hours
  • Cut a big circle out of the top of the sourdough bread bowl
  • Scoop the soft bread out and cube it (some people toast the bread, but we never did)
  • If you want, you can save the top to place on the dip bowl - *that's what my mom used to do
  • When you're ready, spoon the cold dip into the bread bowl
  • Place the cubed bread, and optional vegetables around the bread bowl

PRO TIPS

• Mrs. 3M used fresh spinach and it turned out way better than frozen (and I'm taking her at her word on this).
  • Mrs. 3M hates water chestnuts, so naturally we skipped them, and it didn't miss a beat.
  • Use a LOT of spinach.  I don't know how much she bought, but it looked like it was way, way, way too much.  But, it breaks down when you mix it in.
  • It also goes very well with veggies and pita chips.
  • It’s spinach dip, try not to mess it up.

Go Bucks!

Previous Editions

Week 1 – Bacon Wrapped Pickles
Week 2 – Chipotle Hummus
Week 3 – Chili Mac

2015 & 2016 Recipes can be found here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 69 Comments