Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2017 Tailgate Fare Week 3

+9 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 14, 2017 at 12:46pm
65 Comments

Glad to see everyone still with us for Week 3.  Following the ebbs and flows of an Ohio State loss, things look to get back on track this week against Army.  As an Army veteran myself, I’d like to salute the Cadets, for they are truly exceptional student athletes.  Where they lack exceptional skills on the playing field, they make up for it on the battle field.  My hat is, and forever will be, off to the outstanding young men and women of our Armed Services Academies.

Now, down to business.  Last week, I made my first pot of chili of the season on Sunday, to try to shake away the blues.  And, it worked.  It also got me thinking of a tailgate dish to share based on my time in the Army.  So, I bring you an interesting dish that is a staple in dining facilities around the world:

CHILI MAC

INGREDIENTS

​2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound corkscrew shaped pasta with lines or elbows with lines
2 pounds ground sirloin
​2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium sized sweet onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seed and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons dark chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce
Coarse salt
1 cup beer or beef broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Chopped scallions, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

• In a large pot, boil pasta until al dente.
  • Meanwhile, in a big, deep pot, brown beef in oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic.
  • Season meat mixture with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Cook together 5 minutes, stir in beer or broth, and reduce liquid by half, 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Drain pasta. Add hot pasta to chili pot and stir to coat pasta evenly.
  • Remove from heat and garnish big bowlfuls of chili mac with chopped scallions.

PRO TIPS

• Beer or beef broth?  PLEASE!!!  We used Blue Moon.
  • In the Army we don’t’ need no stinking garnish.

Enjoy it and remember, you don’t have to share with your family.  If the Army wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one.

Go Bucks!

Previous Editions

Week 1 – Bacon Wrapped Pickles

Week 2 – Chipotle Hummus

2015 & 2016 Recipes can be found here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 65 Comments