Is there any interest in organizing some kind of forum-driven, fan-sourced charting/plus-minuses sort of thing for OSU this year? I've always felt that it's the one thing still missing from OSU fandom compared to others.
It'd be great if we could pick out formations and plays, but it'd be a big improvement to even get basic levels of who made good plays or mistakes and when. We could keep a forum thread and assign quarters (or even 10-minute sections) of gameplay to individuals so it isn't too overwhelming of a chore.
What do you guys think? Do we think this forum can do that sort of thing?
I am making some progress on organization. For your review, here are my first drafts of the charting templates. Please tell me if you think there is anything we need to include that is missing, or if you think that we are collecting more than you are willin to assist with. I have included comments on every column describing what it is for.
- Sign up to chart a section of the game on that week's forum thread.
- Record the game.
- When you are sober and ready to review, save a copy of the template for offense and defense. (Go to the links above and select "File->Make a Copy"). Name it based on the section of the game you charted and the opponent. If you want to help, but do not want to sign up for a google account, PM me after you sign up and we can do things over email.
- Watch your section of the game, filling in your copy of the forms as you go.
- When you are finished, share your filled in spreadsheet and link it in the forum thread.
- I will combine the different spreadsheets into a single blog post to be posted to 11W.
I have made an explanation of how I think we should count plus/minus for purposes of these reviews.
UFR Versus Advanced Stats
Some people have brought up the more advanced statistics from places like Football Outsiders, or Kenpom's work for basketball. I would *love* to track that kind of information for OSU football, but I think we should try to walk before we run. If this becomes a well-established group project, possibly even with more direct website support instead of linking spreadsheets around, and with a dozen different volunteers ready to put time in on any given week, I think we should definitely try to go into more detail. As it is, I want anyone who can follow directions and read a roster to be able to contribute, not only people who can tell what defense we were in at a glance, or who are willing to track every single substitution we make.
So my goal with this is more similar to the Under Further Review features at Mgoblog. I want to expose what actually happened to the fans on 11W, not to use statistics to derive unexpected correlations between winning and how often we line up with two tight tends on the same side of the field.
Time vs Offense/Defense
What do we think about instead of doing it by time, doing offense/defense? So pick "First Quarter Offense" or "Fourth Quarter Defense."?
I feel like we should more 11 Warriors-y names for pluses and minuses. Maybe Buckeye Leaves and ??? Open to suggestions.
First game thread is live at:
Please sign up!