UPDATE (5:47 p.m.): An Ohio State spokesman confirmed to Eleven Warriors that Marcelys Jones has in fact left the program.
Sophomore offensive lineman Marcelys Jones is leaving Ohio State, sources told Eleven Warriors Thursday.
Sources indicated that Jones has recently began looking for other options to continue his football career other than at Ohio State, a mutual agreement between the school and the student-athlete.
Jones, one of three players — along with Marshon Lattimore and Erick Smith — to sign with Ohio State in 2014 out of Cleveland Glenville High School, was a three-star prospect who committed on Christmas Day 2012.
Jones had yet to see significant minutes for the Buckeyes, not even cracking the two-deep during his freshman season. It was thought that he might redshirt due to the numbers sitting ahead of him on the depth chart, but he is listed as a sophomore on the official roster.
Jones' immense frame (6-foot-4, 315 pounds) led many to believe he was destined for a solid Ohio State career, but ultimately decided to take his talents elsewhere.
His departure leaves Ohio State at 84 scholarships for the 2015 season, a source said. The scholarship grid appears the team is at 85, however, after it was reported last week incoming commit Mirko Jurkovic wouldn't enroll due to academics. The NCAA allots Division I programs 85 scholarships per season of competition.
Possible destinations for Jones to continue his football career are unknown, but Kentucky was a rumored favorite spot during his recruitment and there are indications that may still be the case.
Hearing that Ohio St OL transfer Marcelys Jones has been given permission to speak to Kentucky and may visit soon. Would be a HUGE get— Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) June 18, 2015
An Ohio State spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Jones' status with the program.
UPDATE (4:05 p.m.): An Ohio State spokesman said he didn't have "anything official on his status at this time" regarding Jones' imminent departure.