THE PERTINENT INFO
When: Saturday, October 20, 2018
Where: Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN
TV: 7:30 // ABC
Announcers: Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Maria Taylor
This will be the 57th* time Ohio State and Purdue have faced each other in football. The Buckeyes hold a 40–14–2* advantage in the all-time series and are 13–8 when playing the Boilermakers in West Lafayette.
Jeff Brohm's team beat Illinois (46-7) last week, has won three consecutive games and enters this contest with a 3–3 record.
Last week, Dwayne Haskins became the first Ohio State quarterback to pass for 400 yards in a game twice in his career. He is also the first Buckeye quarterback to complete at least 20 passes in seven consecutive games.
*NCAA sanctions be damned.
Below, you will find some interesting facts about the teams, key offensive player stats, coach information, and team stats.
THE LAST TIME...
- Ohio State played Purdue, the Buckeyes beat the Boilermakers 56-0 in Game 9 of the 2013 season.
- Ohio State was ranked No. 2 and played against Purdue was 1996, the Scarlet and Gray won 42-14 in West Lafayette.
- These schools faced each other in the eighth game of the season was 2012. Urban Meyer's team defeated Danny Hope's squad 29-22 in OT.
- The Buckeyes played against Purdue on the 20th of October was the 2012 game in Ohio Stadium.
- Ohio State was ranked in the top 5 and played a game on October 20th was 2007. The No. 1 ranked Bucks defeated Michigan State (24-17) on the banks of the Olentangy.
- The Buckeyes lost on 10/20 was 1962. Ara Parseghian and No. 8 Northwestern came to Ohio Stadium and beat No. 6 Ohio State 18-14.
- Purdue defeated Ohio State was October 14, 2011. the Boilermakers beat the Buckeyes 26-23 in OT during Luke Fickell's only season as interim head coach.
ON THE HORIZON
- Ohio State has a two-game winning streak against Purdue.
- Parris Campbell needs four receptions to reach 100 for his career.
- J.K. Dobbins needs 100 rushing yards to reach 2,000 for his career. When he does, it will be the first time in program history that there will be two running backs with 2,000 rushing yards on the same team.
- Terry McLaurin is 118 receiving yards away from 1,000 for his career. When he reaches the milestone, it will be the first time in program history that the Buckeyes will have three 1,000 yard receivers on its roster.
- Ohio State has the nation's second-longest winning streak (12 games) in the FBS. When/if UCF loses, the Buckeyes will take over the top spot.
GET TO KNOW PURDUE
- Purdue is located in West Lafayette, IN.
- The university was established in 1869.
- Purdue is in its 131st season of playing football.
- Purdue Pete is what most think is the team's mascot. He was first designed as a logo in 1940. However, the Boilermaker Special (train) is the official mascot.made its first appearance in 1952.
- The Boilermakers played their first football game in 1887. Purdue lost to Butler College 48-6 in game played in Indianapolis.
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
- K.J. Hill's 187 yards against Minnesota last week were the most for a Buckeye receiver since 2004. Can you name the receiver who had 224 receiving yards against Marshall in 2004?
- Terry McLaurin is 118 yards away from 1,000 career receiving yards? Who are the other two players with at 1,000 receiving yards on the 2018 roster?
- Ohio State has played 14 night road games with Urban Meyer as head coach. What is Meyer's record in those contests?
Answers at the bottom of today's article.
|DWAYNE HASKINS||2,331 YDS // 28 TD // 4 INT||PASSING||DAVID BLOUGH||1,695 YDS // 10 TD // 2 INT|
|J.K. DOBBINS||497 YDS // 4.6 YPC // 4 TD||RUSHING||BRYCE WILLIAMS||540 YDS // 6.2 YPC // 5 TD|
|PARRIS CAMPBELL||557 YDS // 7 TD||RECEIVING||RONDALE MOORE||558 YDS // 5 TD|
|JORDAN FULLER||39||TACKLES||JACOB THIENEMAN||45|
|DRE'MONT JONES||5.5||SACKS||MARKUS BAILEY||4.5|
|KENDALL SHEFFIELD||2||INTERCEPTIONS||KENNETH MAJOR||3|
|C.J. SAUNDERS||6.3 YPR||PUNT RETURNER||RONDALE MOORE||6.8|
|JOHNNIE DIXON||23.6 YPR||KICKOFF RETURN||RONDALE MOORE||20.7|
|DRUE CHRISMAN||44.5||PUNTING||JOE SCHOPP||42.4|
- 77–8 (.906) at Ohio State
- 181–31 (.854) overall
Meyer was born in Toledo and grew up in Ashtabula. He attended the University of Cincinnati where he played football. He started his coaching career as a defensive backs coach at St. Xavier in 1985. Meyer then took a GA position with Ohio State between 1986 and 1987. His next stops were Illinois State (1988-89), Colorado State (1990-95) and Notre Dame (1996-2000).
Bowling Green (2001-02) was his first stop as a head coach. He then had stints in Utah (2003-04) and Florida (2005-10) before coming back to the great state of Ohio.
- 10–9 (.526) at Minnesota (2nd year)
- 40–19 (.678) overall as a college coach (5th year)
Jeff Brohm was born in Louisville, KY and played high school football for Trinity. He stayed close to home for his college days and played for Howard Schnellenberger at Louisville between 1989 and 1993.
Brohm was not selected in the 1994 NFL draft, but did sign with the San Diego Chargers. During his seven year career, he played for the San Diego Chargers, Washington Redskins, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and the Cleveland Browns. Brohm also played one season in the XFL.
He started his coaching career in the AF2 (arena league) as the head man for the Louisville Fire. Following his one year as head coach he returned to the Louisville sideline where he held multiple assistant positions between 2003 and 2008. After stints at Florida Atlantic, Illinois and UAB, Brohm headed to Western Kentucky in 2013.
After one season as offensive coordinator, Brohm was hired as the Hilltoppers head coach in 2014. He left WKU with a 30–10 record including two Conference USA titles.
CLIFF CLAVEN'S LITTLE KNOWN FACTS CORNER
- 56-0. The 2013 score is Ohio State's largest margin of victory over Purdue.
- Dwayne Haskins leads the nation with 28 passing touchdowns.
- The Buckeyes have won 12 straight games.
- Ohio State has three players from Indiana on its roster: Austin Mack, Terry McLaurin and Pete Werner.
- Haskins has completed at least 20 passes in seven consecutive games, a school record.
- This is the third consecutive season Ohio State has played three road night games.
- In every game this season, Ohio State has had the lead after the 3rd quarter.
- Ohio State leads the nation with 211 first downs. That is an average of 30.1 per game.
- The Buckeyes are 35–5 in road and neutral site games since 2012.
- Since 2012, the Scarlet and Gray are 23–1 in the month of October.
- Parris Campbell (7) is sixth and Terry McLauren (7) are tied for sixth in the nation in touchdown receptions.
- The Buckeyes are ranked second nationally in number of 1,000-yard rushers (69).
- Sean Nuernberger has made 216 consecutive extra points. He has never missed as a Buckeye.
- Ohio State leads the Big Ten in the following categories: total offense (556.9), scoring offense (46.3), passing offense (371.4), pass efficiency (186.7), 3rd-down conversions (.490), PATs (42), net punting (43.5), and sacks (7).
- Urban Meyer is 42–3 in Ohio Stadium.
- The Buckeyes are 12–5 against Top 10 teams with Urban Meyer as head coach.
- Ohio State has scored 453 touchdowns since 2012, that is the most in the Big Ten during that time frame.
- David Blough, Purdue's quarterback, threw for 572 yards in a loss to Missouri on September 15.
- Boilermaker freshman Rondale Moore leads the Big Ten averaging 167.8 all-purpose yards per game.
- The last time the Buckeyes recorded two safeties in a game was against Purdue on November 10, 2001.
|120.9||42nd||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||125.2||53rd|
TODAY'S TRIVIA ANSWERS
K.J. Hill's 187 yards against Minnesota last week were the most for a Buckeye receiver since 2004. Can you name the receiver who had 224 receiving yards against Marshall in 2004?
Answer: Santonio Holmes' performance was needed in the Week 2 last second 24-21 win over Marshall.
Terry McLaurin is 118 yards away from 1,000 career receiving yards? Who are the other two players with at 1,000 receiving yards on the 2018 roster?
Answer: K. J. Hill (1,362 yards) and Parris Campbell (1,262 yards)
Ohio State has played 14 night road games with Urban Meyer as head coach. What is Meyer's record in those contests?
Answer: 13–1, the loss was at Penn State in 2016.