Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Mandatory Safety Briefing - Christmas 2018

+8 HS
Major H's picture
December 21, 2018 at 12:24pm
46 Comments

MANDATORY SAFETY BRIEFING - CHRISTMAS 2018

·        For all you Doggies, Zoomies, Jarheads and Squids out there, and I say that will all the love in my heart for my fellow veterans, I hope you all recall those boring safety briefings we had to endure before heading out on a holiday break. Since Buckeye Nation is so large, I will not list the local bars and tattoo parlors that are “off limits.” This one will be brief.

Today, Friday, December 21, is the winter solstice and the first day of winter. It is the perfect day to deliver a winter safety briefing. I know some of you have already been buried up to your wazoos in snow, but that’s OK. It was practice for what is to come.

Winter and holiday hazards to be aware of:

1.   Travel – Today is one of the busiest travel days of the year. If you are flying, be prepared for delays due to bad weather. If you are driving, it shouldn’t be too bad up north because all the flippin’ snowbirds are down here in Florida. If you are here in Florida, forget about driving.

2.   Alcohol consumption – This can really be a problem if you combine it with #1, above. However, we are all adults (that’s giving a large benefit of the doubt to some) here, so please drink responsibly.

3.   Budget – Don’t go crazy spending. You don’t want to end up in a spot where you are still paying off this year’s Christmas debt next September. But then again, nobody likes a cheap skate.

4.   Over eating – This is the time of year when all of the goodies come out and whisper, “Try it, you’ll like it!” in your ear. Your January 2019 workouts will kick your butt if you go crazy now.

5.   Get enough sleep - Quality sack time is very important in order for you to remain mentally alert and ready to charge full steam into next year. Take time to recharge your battery. (I’ll let you each define what “quality sack time” is.)

6.   AWOL – Zero tolerance! Get back to work on time. Don’t start the new year off on the wrong foot. The boss will not be happy. We all want the boss to be happy, don’t we?

7.   Attendance – Make a comment below and you will receive credit for attending this mandatory safety briefing.

8.   Disconnect – On a serious note, when you are together with family this year, try to disconnect from your phones and focus on the people in the room with you. Take plenty of pictures. Make a call to a person who can’t be with you. Otherwise, give the internet a break and be there for the family.

9. Dismissed - This concludes the briefing. Be safe out there!

Years ago I would jokingly define a “good Christmas,” as one where I ate too much, drank too much, spent too much money and did not get enough sleep. Now, as an elder statesman, I can see how wrong I was in that statement. To all of you in Buckeye Nation, have a joyous and safe Holiday Season!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments