Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Would like some suggestions for music to listen to.

+4 HS
PoopOnMichigan13's picture
January 16, 2017 at 12:07am
114 Comments

Lately I've been really searching around and expanding the music I listen to. I hate most of the "popular" music today and most of the shit played on a lot of radio stations(obviously some play really good stuff). So, I figured Id list some genres/artists I really like and see what people had to say, and what suggestions people would give based on what I like. 

Off the top of my head here are some of the artists I listen to a lot.

Rock/Metal/Punk Favs:

• Nirvana, Tool, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle(Anything involving Maynard James Keenan), System of a Down, Pearl Jam, August Burns Red, Underoath, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Blink-182, Paramore, Jimi Hendrix, Man Man, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Queens of the Stone Age, Queen, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Deftones, Primus.
  • Out of these listed Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down, Primus, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Tool(Maynard James Keenan is probably my all time favorite musician) would probably be my favorites.

Jazz Favs:

• Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Billie Holliday, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Snarky Puppy(If you like jazz/funk look them up, trust me)
  • Miles Davis is my favorite, also really huge on Snarky Puppy.

Rap/HipHop Favs:

• Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole, Nas, Rakim, Slick Rick, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Eminem, Biggie, Tupac, Nate Dogg, Snoop Dogg, Mac Miller, Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino.
  • Kendrick Lamar is hands down my favorite rapper of all time.

Reggae/Ska Favs:

• Sublime, Stick Figure, Slightly Stoopid, 311, Bob Marley, Tribal Seeds
  • Sublime and Slightly Stoopid are my favs.

These are my favorites off the top of my head. I no doubt left out a large number of artists(and genres) I really like. Anyway, let me know what artists you guys like that may be similar to the ones Ive mentioned. Suggestions on songs, albums,  and/or artists mentioned or not mentioned are welcome. Im a drummer so bands with great drummers are largely welcomed. I also found I really like blues and folk music, but havent really looked too far into either one so suggestions for those would be great. Also, feel free to simply discuss music that you like.

This might be a kinda weird forum for this site, but hey, its the offseason. 

EDIT: Holy crap! Thanks for all the comments, I didnt expect to get this many replies. I havent had the time to comment back to any of you, but I will definitely be going through the comments and checking out the artists you guys have recommended. Thanks to everyone who commented, Im very interested to hear some of these artists. Thanks guys!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 114 Comments