Special teams are all the rage these days in Columbus.
After a season in which the Buckeyes struggled to do things like 'kick the ball inbounds' last fall, this year's squad has executed at a high level in the third phase of the game. How do we know? For the first time in the vaunted (two-year) history of the venerable 11W Top Play poll, our most recent winner came on a play involving a kick, as the OSU punt team downed one inside the Purdue 1-yard line.
While surely the lack of other highlights produced by the local team that night in West Lafayette had something to do with that outcome, Ohio State's special teams have a chance to make it two in a row, thanks to the hero wearing a 'K. Jones' jersey who notched the first points for the Black and Scarlet and Gray against the visiting Cornhuskers. Onto the nominees:
Nominee #1) Keandre Jones blocks a punt to put the Buckeyes on the board
Nominee #2) Johnnie Dixon's 42-yard catch-and-run for six
Nominee #3) J.K. Dobbins dives into the end zone for the first his three TDs on the day
Nominee #4) Dobbins breaks a 42-yard score for himself and closes out the win
THIS SEASON'S WINNERS SO FAR:
- Week 1: Touchdown Terry McLaurin races 75 yards for the score
- Week 2: Tate Martell's 47-yard touchdown run
- Week 3: Dre'Mont Jones picks off a shovel pass to put OSU up 26-21
- Week 4: Austin Mack adjusts in the air to haul in a spectacular back-shoulder catch for six
- Week 5: Binjimen Victor zig-zags through the entire PSU defense for a 47-yard score
- Week 6: Binjimen Victor gets both feet down in the back of the end zone
- Week 7: K.J. Hill shows off his hands of glue with a one-handed grab
- Week 8: The Buckeye Punt team downs a kick inside the 1