Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

MHJr NIL Comment

+3 HS
tunehtraef's picture
August 5, 2023 at 3:12am
13 Comments

This wasn’t discussed much as a topic from the Skully the other day, but reading through the Bolden “info”, it got me thinking about it more. 

Both he and Chase make the same point; that you come to Columbus to play and win, and if you do that, you’ll be compensated just fine. They are certainly alluding to OSU doing NIL the way it’s intended. If you go through the whole quote, MHJr goes into detail about the Columbus market, getting connected to the right people, etc., but not until after the initial comment (paraphrasing) “if it’s all about NIL then OSU isn’t for you” (which I am completely in agreement with to be clear). 

My question is, do you think that this could be currently (and potentially down the road) used against us in recruiting when other coaching staffs tell recruits just the first part and can even show them evidence of that being said while leaving out the rest of it? Some kids aren’t going to hear the rest and it may be an instant “off my list” moment for them? Not saying that we couldn’t dispute the theory by giving them the whole story (and showing them what someone like a MHJr is doing in NIL, which is a lot) if we get the shot, but would some just not take OSU seriously because of that? Then if so, maybe they aren’t worth being recruited by the team, but that’s a whole other question and scenario. 

Personally I can see this being used against us both now and in the future. Some teams are probably showing that quote as a way to say, “they aren’t even going to help you maximize your earnings”, or something like that and get in kids heads that we are somehow lacking. 

Thoughts on how this is going to affect this (or future) classes? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments