Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

How Will the Extra Year of Eligibility Impact Recruiting Over the Next Few Years?

+3 HS
Weave77's picture
October 1, 2020 at 4:50pm
23 Comments

I have a question regarding the extra year of eligibility that the NCAA decided to grant all current players and how that may potentially affect Ohio State's recruiting/roster decisions.

As I understand it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), current Seniors will be permitted to return next year, and they will not count against the team's scholarship limits. Underclassmen will also get access to a waiver they can use to extend their careers by one additional season, but beyond the 2021-22 academic year, those players WILL count against the team's scholarship limits.

Since those who use this extra year will count against scholarship limits after the 2021 season, it is almost certain that the coaches will give only strong contributors the option to use their extra season of eligibility... and most will probably decline in order to go pro. However, certain players with poor NFL draft prospects (similar to a CJ Saunders, Jonathon Cooper, or Justin Hilliard), will presumably want to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility.

Given that, should we anticipate Ohio State being more picky/stingy with scholarship offers for some of the lower-rated, "project" players on their recruiting board over the next few recruiting cycles in order to reserve some scholarships for select players going into their 5th/6th years?

And beyond that, are there any other ways that you predict the extra year of eligibility will impact the Buckeye roster and/or recruiting strategy over the next several years (i.e. less redshirts given out, more/less transfers)? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments