Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Buckeyes Still Have Big Opportunity to Reshape CFP Narrative Next Year

+12 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 14, 2020 at 10:08pm
64 Comments

I was really hoping Ohio State would win it all this year for a variety of reasons.  And tied at the top for my wanting them to win the natty this year is because it would have put them on equal footing with Bama and Clemson as the co-leader of most titles in the CFP era.

That’s why it was so important Clemson lost last night.  If they hadn’t, that would have meant back-to-back undefeated seasons—a true rarity in the past quarter century—and 3 CFP titles in 4 years (which would have put them considerably on the way toward a Bama-type period of sustained success).  

On a slightly lesser note, a Clemson win last night would have meant even greater media coverage of what I think of as “Dabo babble”—and, really, who needs to listen to that stuff?

And if Ohio State had fallen behind Clemson by 3 to 1 in the CFP championship race, that wouldn’t have been so easy to catch up to,

But, thankfully, everything is still there for Ohio State to attain next year by winning its second natty in the CFP era.  A national championship next year means being on equal footing as the top program along with Clemson and Bama—each tied as the leader with two titles.

So there is indeed a chance for true redemption next year thanks to Ohio State football alum Joe Burrow last night.  Joe, you might have helped out your former team more than you realize.  Thank you Buckeye Joe!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 64 Comments