THE PERTINENT INFO
When: Saturday, November 30, 2019
Where: That Stadium
TV: Noon // FOX
Announcers: Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Jenny Taft
This will be the 116th time Ohio State and Michigan have faced each other in football. The Buckeyes are 51–58–6 all-time against their rival, and are 23–31–4 when the game is played in that shit hole to the north.
However, the overall series numbers are a little skewed to the early results. A Michigan fan would need a birth date of 1906 in order to have a winning record against the Buckeyes. That fan would be 113 years old.
Last week, Captain Khaki's team defeated Indiana (39-14) and is currently 9–2 on for the season. The One Who Wears Khakis has had at least three losses every year since he took over at his alma mater.
THE LAST TIME...
- Ohio State played Michigan, the Buckeyes scored a series record in their 62-39 victory in Ohio Stadium.
- This game was played in Ann Arbor, the Scarlet and Gray won 31-20 in 2017.
- The Buckeyes played on November 30th was 2013. The team defeated Michigan 42-41 in Ann Arbor.
- The Scarlet and Gray lost the 12th game of the season, when it was played on Nov. 30th, was 1905. Indian came to Columbus and defeated the Buckeyes 11-0.
- A Buckeye rushed for over 200 yards in The Game was 2015. Ezekiel Elliott went for 214 yards, scored 2 touchdowns and averaged 7.1 yards against them in the 42-13 victory.
ON THE HORIZON
- J.K. Dobbins (3,902) is 98 yards away from 4,000 career rushing yards. He will become the second Ohio State player to reach this milestone (Archie Griffin).
- K.J Hill is currently second on Ohio State's all-time receptions list. He needs 5 catches to tie David Boston (191) for first.
- Chase Young (30.5) needs 6 sacks to break Mike Vrabel's career record of 36 sacks.
- J.K. Dobbins (1,446) is 54 yards away from 1,500 yards rushing this year. When he does, he will become the eighth Buckeye to rush for 1,500 yards in a season.
*Yes, Nebraska also had an 11 game 24+ winning streak, but the team was not in the Big Ten during the 1971 season.
LET'S GO STREAKING
- Ohio State has won 16 consecutive games.
- Chase Young has recorded a sack in 11 straight games.
- The Buckeyes have scored at least 28 points in all 13 games with Ryan Day as head coach.
- Ohio State has 13 consecutive wins against ranked teams.
- The scarlet and gray have won seven straight against teams ranked in the AP top-10.
- A Buckeye linebacker has had an interception in three consecutive games.
- The Silver Bullets have held 11 consecutive opponents to under 300 yards of total offense (a program first).
GET TO KNOW THAT TEAM
- The campus is located in Ann Arbor.
- The university was founded in 1817.
- The Wolverines are 9–2 this season.
- The Wolverines are in their 140th season of playing football.
- The school's first unofficial masot was a stuffed wolverine named Biff. The stuffed mascot was replaced by two living wolverines (Biff and Bennnie), but the two animals became too unpredictable (mean) to have at games.
- Michigan football's first game was in 1879.
- Notable alumni are: Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber), Jack Kevorkian (euthanized multiple people), Francois Duvalier (evil dictator who killed 30,000 people), Herman Webster Mudgett (19th century serial killer, confessed to 27 murders, possibly killed 250 people) and James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vader, killer of millions in a galaxy far, far away). Yes, they are the dark side.
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
- How many of Ohio State's 25 coaches have started 1–0 in The Game?
- How many Michigan coaches have started 0–4 against the Buckeyes?
- Including Saturday's game, how many times have Ohio State and Michigan played when both teams are ranked in the Top 10?
Answers at the bottom of today's article.
|JUSTIN FIELDS||2,352 YDS // 33 TD // 1 INT||PASSING||SHEA PATTERSON||2,523 YDS // 21 TD // 5 INT|
|J.K. DOBBINS||1,446 YDS // 6.6 YPC // 15 TD||RUSHING||ZACH CHARBONNET||635 YDS // 4.8 YPC // 6 TD|
|CHIS OLAVE||637 YDS // 10 TD||RECEIVING||NICO COLLINS||649 YDS // 7 TD|
|MALIK HARRISON||61||TACKLES||KHALEKE HUDSON||89|
|CHASE YOUNG||16.5||SACKS||JOSH UCHE||8.5|
|GARRETT WILSON||8.2 YPR||PUNT RETURNER||DONOVAN PEOPLES-JONES||7.9|
|DEMARIO McCALL||23.2 YPR||KICKOFF RETURN||GILES JACKSON||26.1|
|DRUE CHRISMAN||44.0||PUNTING||WILL HART||44.8|
- 14–0 (1.00) at Ohio State
- 14–0 (1.00) overall
Day's hometown is Manchester, NH. He attended Manchester High School and attended college at New Hampshire. Day has been in coaching for 18 years and is Ohio State's 25th head coach.
After this season's first 11 games, Ryan Day and the Buckeyes are outscoring their opponents 543-115. That is an average victory of 49-11. The numbers stay fairly steady when you add in the three games Day coached last season.
After 14 games with Day as head coach, Ohio State is beating teams by an average score of 51-13. The only teams not to lose to Day by more than 40 points are Oregon State, TCU, Florida Atlantic and Wisconsin. He has the program record for points scored after his first 14 games with 712.
Urban Meyer is the only other coach in program history to start his career with 14 straight victories.
- 47–16 (.746) at That Team (5th year)
- 105–43 (.709) overall as a college head coach (9th year)
- 32–11 (.744) against B1G opponents
Harbaugh was born in Toledo, but spent most of his childhood bouncing from city to city as his father was an assistant coach for various college teams. He graduated from Palo Alto High School in California.
In 1994, Harbaugh was hired as an unpaid assistant coach by his dad at Western Kentucky. He left WKU to be an assistant for the Oakland Raiders in 2002. Following a brief stay in the NFL, Harbaugh returned to the college ranks to take the head job at San Diego. Stanford hired him in 2007. He remained with the Cardinal through the 2010 season before bolting for the 49ers.
Harbaugh left the NFL and was introduced as Michigan's head coach on December 30, 2014. Under his watch, the Wolverines have zero Big Ten titles and zero wins against Ohio State.
CLIFF CLAVEN'S LITTLE KNOWN FACTS CORNER
- 0......Wins for Harbaugh as a coach in The Game.
- 1......Day is looking for his first win in The Game.
- 2......Ohio State's rank in pass efficiency defense.
- 3......Defensive stats the Silver Bullets rank 1st in the nation (points allowed, pass and total defense).
- 5......Number of times the Buckeyes have scored 50 or more points this year.
- 8......Straight years Ohio State has won 11 games.
- 10....Buckeyes have played in 40+ games.
- 13....Total touchdowns the Silver Bullets have allowed this season.
- 15....Different Buckeyes have recorded a sack.
- 16....Ohio State is 16-0 when Dobbins rushes for 100 or more yards.
- 23....Times the Buckeyes have scored 40 or more points since 2017.
- 26.....Seniors will be in The Game for the final time.
- 33.....Rushing touchdowns for the Buckeyes this year.
- 37.....Straight games the Scarlet and Gray has scored at least 20 points.
- 40.....Number of times The Game has been decided by one score.
- 43.....Total touchdowns for Justin Fields through 11 games.
- 45.....Consecutive games K.J. Hill has caught a pass, the program record is 48.
- 47.....Sacks the Silver Bullets have recorded this season, the school record is 52.
- 57.....Second half rushing attempts for J.K. Dobbins.
- 68.....Punts Drue Chrisman has downed inside the 20 during his OSU career.
- 70.....Ohio State has scored at least 70 points twice this year, first time since 1996.
- 73.....Total offensive touchdowns scored by the 2019 Buckeyes.
- 100...Years ago, Ohio State earned its first win in The Game.
- 103...Wins for the Buckeyes this decade.
- 130...Touchdown passes thrown by Ohio State quarterbacks since 2017.
- 162....Average rushing yards for Dobbins against MSU, Wisconsin and Penn State.
- 220...Offensive touchdowns for the Buckeyes since 2017.
- 217...Minimum number of rushing yards for OSU in first 11 games.
- 258...Points Justin Fields is responsible for this season.
- 313...First downs gained by Ohio State this year.
- 332...Points scored by OSU in the first half this season, opposing teams have 38.
- 457...Wins for Ohio State in Ohio Stadium.
- 543...The number of points the Buckeyes have scored in ten games, the most ever in program history.
- 590...Buckeye football games played in Ohio Stadium.
- 593...Touchdowns scored by the Scarlet and Gray since 2012, most in the country.
- 915...Times Ohio State has been ranked in the AP poll.
- 922...Number of official wins for the program (we know it's actually 934).
|90.2||2nd||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||111.8||14th|
TODAY'S TRIVIA ANSWERS
How many of Ohio State's 25 coaches have started 1–0 in The Game?
Answer: 6. Sam Willaman (1929), Francis Schmidt (1934), Carroll Widdoes (1944), Earle Bruce (1979), Jim Tressel (2001) and Urban Meyer (2012). Hoping to add another name to this list on Saturday.
How many Michigan coaches have started 0–4 against the Buckeyes?
Answer: 1. Jim Harbaugh is the only coach in their history to start with four consecutive losses to Ohio State. The great Rich Rodriguez was fired after going 0–3 against the scarlet and gray. Here's to Khaki Boy becoming the first to lose his five in a row.
Including Saturday's game, how many times have Ohio State and Michigan played when both teams are ranked in the Top 10?
Answer: 23. The Buckeyes hold an 11–9–2 advantage and have won three straight games under this scenario.