Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Not That I’m One to EVER Throw ESPN a Bone, But...

+23 HS
Buckfrombirth's picture
September 18, 2018 at 2:23am
60 Comments

I happened to catch Sportscenter tonight.  They (of course) hit the “highlights” of Rinaldi’s interview with Urban.  Scott Van Pelt had about the most cogent thought I’ve seen from the Worldwide Leader throughout this whole mess.  Paraphrasing, but about 80+% word-for-word:  Reaction fits into one of two buckets:  Ohio State fans who think that he was wronged and those who feel his comments fall short.  He went on to say that he doesn’t know what people expect.  He doesn’t understand why people suddenly expect him to be able to articulate his thoughts on the issue in a way that is satisfying to the public, because he hasn’t thus far.  Being a great football coach doesn’t make you great at sharing your thoughts, and that applies to everyone.  But he’s not just any coach, he’s a “great one.”  What he’s learned, only he knows, and Van Pelt doesn’t expect to hear any more about it, because the storm has been weathered, the questions have been answered, and, if you didn’t hear what you hoped to, his guess is “you probably won’t.”  

If that doesn’t sound like a good way to put some Sportscenter closure on something, I guess nothing does.  

I’m interested to read your thoughts on SVP’s take, and I wonder how much crap he’ll have to deal with from people who believe he gave UFM a pass.  

Or, you can DV me to death for even bringing it up or for insinuating that ESPN could actually be fair this one time.  I really don’t care either way.  I just thought it was good to see.  And, no, I don’t think ESPN wants OSU to die.  We’re too good for their ratings.  But stirring us fans up with controversy is great for business, and we should recognize and embrace it.    

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 60 Comments