Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2018 Gameday Meals Week 2 vs. Rutgers

+8 HS
osurox's picture
September 6, 2018 at 8:41am
55 Comments

Week 2 vs. Rutgers in town, and I want to bust out the smoker so I am doing an 8 lb. smoked Boston pork butt.  Going into a brine tonight (water, salt, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, apple cider, garlic powder, onion powder).  Soaking it until tomorrow evening, when I will pull it out and air dry it before putting a dry rub on.  Putting the sucker on at midnight and smoking it all night long, waking up intermittently to apply some cider/vinegar spritzer.

Smoked Pork Dry Rub:

1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons Lowry's
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon cumin

After removing pork from brine, air dry and then pat with paper towel.  Inject some of the brine liquid into the pork, save some of the brine liquid for later.  Prepare dry mix with ingredients listed above.  Coat pork with mixture of honey mustard and spicy brown mustard (like a mortar). Then sprinkle dry mix all over and rub it into the pork.  I recommend wearing latex gloves for this part.

Smoking it at 250F, with a spritz of apple cider vinegar and apple cider.  Should be ready between 12-2 pm, or whenever internal reaches 195F (about 12-14 total hours in the smoker at 250F for the 8 lb. butt; just make sure to check the IT temperature; use the 1.5 hr/lb. rule).  Once pulled, wrap in foil for an hour, then time to pull. I never wrap in foil and return to the smoker, but some people say to.  Never had a problem with no foil though.

I did this about a month ago and came out perfectly.  Love the masterbuilt electric smoker!  

Here are last years meals:

2017 links

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 55 Comments