What in the Hell even happened yesterday? I feel like I somebody cudgeled me, which is odd considering the only narcotic with which I poisoned myself was Ohio State football.
Speaking of drugs, Ohio State has suspended Joey Bosa, Jalin Marshall, Dontre Wilson, and Corey Smith for the opener against Virginia Tech.
The fools among us will bring opprobrium to these young men's doorsteps, but this news made me more excited for the opener against Virginia Tech. "Unproven" guys showing out on national stages is one of the best things in sports. (Don't believe me, believe Urban Meyer.)
Some threads you may have missed:
- Meyer presser bullets.
- Urban has no intention of naming his starting QB before the Virginia Tech game.
- A look at "the next men up" for Ohio State.
- Braxton moving to H-Back was his Plan B, according to Urban Meyer.
- J.T. Barrett is 100%.
Some other, non-media day storylines you may have missed:
- The Wall Street Journal says the Ohio State band's infamous, off-the-record songbook featured songs that mocked Holocaust victims and featured Nazis. (Like I said: It was a wild-ass day on the beat.)
- Gavin Cupp, the 2016 Ohioan three-star OL who had his Michigan State commitment pulled for visiting Friday Night Lights was offered by the Buckeyes.
- Ohio State, TCU, Alabama, and Baylor make-up the playoff field in the preseason Coaches Poll.
- I enjoyed Chris' look at Jim Tressel-era guys he wishes he could plug into Urban Meyer's system.
- I'm also proud of myself for creating CreepyTimBeckman.GIF (full story over here).
THIS WEEK'S NSFW ANTI-WORK #BANGERS. You thought I forgot them this week, huh?
I LOVE BRAXTON'S ARROGANCE. "Arrogance" is usually seen as a bad thing, but I say it's a good thing when used to describe the game of Ohio State student-athletes.
Take Braxton, for instance. The dude has never played anything but quarterback, and yet he knows his talent will take him to the promised land:
(This picture was taken at Urban Meyer's house after the team's trip to Zoombezi Bay.)
Good to see No. 5 getting his swagger back before camp approaches. I'm hoping to make 1,000 terabytes of Braxton GIFs this fall, OSU GIF Gods willing.
4LOKO #SHOUTOUT OF THE WEEK: THIS BUCKEYE GRANDMA. Hurling mundane abuse at athletes only gets a dipshit so far. Athletes, for the most part, have seen and heard it all.
If you're going to talk shit, at least attempt to have half the originality as this grandma.
MSU's Jack Allen: "I got flipped off by a grandma at Ohio State. She came out on to her porch with her walker as we were busing through."— Eleven Warriors (@11W) July 30, 2015
The image of an old woman walker-ing her way onto a porch only to lift a bony finger into the air is rattling indeed. It's been three years since Michigan State has rolled into Columbus, and Jack Allen is still haunted by that grandma.
THAT'S HOW WE HECKLE IN THE BUS. Unoriginals, take a note.
THOSE WMDs. Eleven Warriors: A Top 50 Digital Native News Site... California needs 11 Trillion Gallons of Water to Recover from Worst Drought Ever... Mom Throws Dream Party for Personal Injury Lawyer-Obsessed Toddler... The World's Most Controversial Inflatable Duck... Plastic surgery is a helluva drug... Why Are Movie Trailers Using So Many Creepy Pop Covers?