The fall camp portion of preseason practice is over and Ohio State has moved into preparing for its season opener next Thursday against Indiana.
In his latest press conference at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said the Buckeyes are now fully focused on game preparation. That preparation began Monday, as fall camp ended Saturday.
Here's what else you need to know from Monday's press conference:
- Mike Weber ran full speed on Monday and is expected to play in the season opener.
- True freshman running back J.K. Dobbins will play in the season opener. "He's earned that right."
- Branden Bowen is in the mix to start at right guard, but Ohio State is not ready to announce a starter at the position yet.
- True freshman wide receiver Trevon Grimes is on the bubble in regards to whether he will be on the team's travel roster this year.
- Branden Bowen and Michael Jordan are among the most improved players on offense. Damon Webb and Dre'Mont Jones are among the most improved players on defense.
- Urban Meyer says he has talked to his team about the recent events in Charlottesville. Told players they can't control what happened in Virginia but can control how they treat people.
- The competition for the open starting spot at safety is down to Erick Smith and Jordan Fuller.
- Sean Nuernberger leads the competition to start at kicker but true freshman Blake Haubeil has closed the gap.
- Ohio State coaches deemed the team's performance on punt returns as "inadequate" last season.
- K.J. Hill and Demario McCall could rotate as the team's starting punt returner.
- Meyer says he met with Ezekiel Elliott's family on Sunday. "We love Zeke, and we want what's best for him."
- Ohio State plans to announce captains Monday night, and Meyer anticipates that one of those captains will be Tracy Sprinkle.
Check back with Eleven Warriors for further coverage this afternoon, as defensive line coach Larry Johnson and a number of defensive linemen are scheduled to meet with the media following Meyer's press conference.