Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban Meyer’s TURNOVER Problem

-1 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
December 31, 2017 at 11:15am
101 Comments

Urban recruits excellently and finds some of the best coaches out there. 

However, this leads to early departures and a lack of top end consistency. 

When you have as much turnover as Urban does, especially as his assistants go on to be head coaches so often, we see adjustments need to me made.

While the talent and coaching remains good. It takes time to be elite.

We win the National Championship IN 2015 if Tom Herman stays.  

We win the National Championship this year if Hooker and Lattimore stay. 

Every really good team faces this to some extent. Until recently year, Saban didn’t have a ton of turnover. And Bama didn’t lose 3 of its 4 DBs to the first round of the NFL 1st round. Dabo has a long time Defeanice coordinator stick around and elsewhere has been pretty consistent in keeping assistants. 

I am not sure what can be done, since coaches know being an UFM assistant coach is the path to landing a good head coach gig after 2-3 years, max. Also, players know coming to OSU now means you’ll be developed to be a good NFL player. 

I thibk UFM will need to find a way to keep guys, especially coaches, longer.... like 5 years.... to achieve Bama level consistency.  

Maybe do what Grundy did at OKstate and poach the best Offensive coordinator from a D2 school who was previously making 50,000 a year and jumped to 400,000. He’s been at OKstate now for 4 years. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 101 Comments