Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Wrestling: Deep Dive on Kyle Snyder's Nemesis, "The Russian Tank"

0 HS
Andy Vance's picture
August 30, 2019 at 3:51pm
14 Comments

I have tended to err to the side of superlative when writing about Ohio State alumnus and four-time world-level freestyle wrestling champion Kyle Snyder because he is truly one of the greats in the sport. Having won three NCAA titles, three World titles and an Olympic gold in a four-year span, he’s young enough that the oft-misapplied appellation “Greatest of All Time” could well be within reach for the young Buck.

But when you read this profile of his current nemesis, Abdulrashid “The Russian Tank” Sadulaev, you realize the tall task the American faces in battling for his fourth senior-level world title later this month.

Over the past seven years the Russian has won two Cadet world titles, three European championships, four consecutive Russian National titles, and four senior world-level titles including gold at the Rio Olympics. He’s 1 and 1 against Snyder, having upended Captain America at the 2018 World Championships with a first-period fall.

To put all of this into perspective:

If Sadulaev’s upward trajectory from 2018 Worlds continues, it’s hard to see him failing to dominate the next decade or so of competition.

The wrestler currently regarded as the greatest freestyle competitor of all time is the Russian Buvaisar Saitiev. Saitiev racked up nine gold medals – three Olympic titles and six World titles.

At the moment, Sadulaev has “only” three World and one Olympic title.

He’s 23. Stay tuned for the 2019 World Wrestling Championships in mid-September, where Sadulaev will likely see Kyle Snyder for the rubber match as he chases his fifth senior gold medal.

You won't catch me betting against Snyder. He doesn't make many mistakes, and I'm not sure he's ever been beaten by the same guy twice. But for him to make it to the top of the podium in two weeks in Kazakhstan, he'll have his work cut out for him.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments