Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

“Here Comes Willis!”

+3 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
May 8, 2019 at 1:13pm
28 Comments

The ultimate goal for all diehard fans is probably to see their team win a championship.  That experience is perhaps made even more special if there is something truly distinctive or even iconic about that title.

I would argue that the Buckeyes’ nattys in 1968, 2002, and 2014 all qualify:  1968 because it was, up to that point, one of the rare times—only the third in fact up to that point—where the AP #1 and #2 teams faced each other in a Bowl game (plus USC had all-time great OJ Simpson); 2002 because it was the first natty to go to overtime (not to mention the pass interference call, the quantity of NFL talent in that game, and the remarkable win streak the U was trying to keep going); and 2014 because of the story of a third-string QB helping lead the team to the promised land.

But I am writing today because I am also a longtime Knicks fan and today is the 49th anniversary of Game 7 of the NBA Finals when there was serious doubt as to whether the Knicks most valuable player—and the NBA’s MVP—Willis Reed, would even be able to play.  The Knicks were going through their warmups when suddenly one of the iconic moments in league history happened—a true profile in sports courage:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SeITaf3e2Uo

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments