Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Soccer fans. Are you satisfied with the way head injuries is handled by FIFA.

0 HS
allinosu's picture
July 1, 2015 at 6:46pm
26 Comments

The question boils down to whether or not doctors that are supplied by the team are a good thing because of the pressure of winning could affect some decisions or should FIFA supply doctors with a protocol put in by them to determine the safety of the athlete. Yesterday Morgan Brian and Alexander Popp collided heads violently resulting in both players being injured with Popp bleeding with a laceration. Watching the response from both teams, coaches and doctors left me thinking how the injuries were perceived differently from each camp. First of all neither athlete was given proper neck injury precautions. That aside the USA  doctor showed more concern for concussion than his German counter part. USA did test voluntary responses but not involuntary by testing the pupil dilation expose to light. The German's concern seemed to be focused on stopping the bleeding so Popp could return to the field. In fairness I couldn't hear the conversation on the field and see everything because of replay but seeing the German coaches and players using the time for strategy and the American focus was on Brian's well being, showed me the different concerns for player safety. I did not like the way Brian was looking or acting walking off the field but maybe that's the way she is usually so I can't criticize her return. I can say as a retired paramedic when my patients acted like her it aroused my suspicions. The German coach sealed the deal for my opinion when she said after the game if her player says she is OK and the doctor can look in her eyes and say she is then that's all she needs. You cannot make that determination just looking into someone's eyes unless it's positive for injury. I say on serious injury it should be determined by an independent. If this would have been football the press would have a field day. I'm sure some feel differently and that's fair.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments