Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

The Ones That Got Away: Jordan Diamond

+16 HS
BGSUBucksFan's picture
May 15, 2017 at 12:07pm
21 Comments

After an extended hiatus, we're back and better than ever.  For those unfamiliar with this series, I'm focusing this offseason on the misses of the 2012 recruiting cycle.  Last time, Kyle Kalis was the topic of discussion.  This time we'll focus on another big-time OL prospect, Jordan Diamond.

THE RECRUITMENT

Ranked as the 10th best tackle and 92nd overall rated prospect in the 2012 class, this Chicago native was a top priority for the Ohio State staff, until he wasn't.  Diamond made an official visit to Ohio State on December 9, 2011.  The visit seemed to go pretty well, at least from his perspective.

Shortly after the visit, Jordan announced a top five that included Ohio State.

Rumors began to swirl, though, of Ohio State backing off of Diamond after his official visit.  Some think it was due to the staff's confidence in landing Kyle Dodson, while others pointed towards character concerns.  Just days after his official visit, Birm seemed to confirm that not all went well with the visit:

I am decidedly less confident on the prospect of reeling in Jordan Diamond, the massive OT from Chicago who visited last weekend and got to spend a lot of time hanging out with a big number of Buckeye commits. I believe that Diamond had a great time at Ohio State, but I think that he may end up elsewhere. 

With a little more than one week before signing day, reports began to surface that Diamond would not be a Buckeye.

Our friends up north had a different perspective on the situation:

Two days after National Signing Day, Jordan Diamond announced his commitment to Auburn:

"I had mixed emotions about every school," Diamond said. "I liked a few things about every school, but when it came down to it, the people down there at Auburn really separated themselves from everyone else.

One of the most influential people in Diamond's decision was Auburn offensive line coach Jeff Grimes. Diamond was swayed by his coaching style and him as a person.

THE COLLEGE LIFE

Jordan suffered a torn labrum during his first year on campus, so he took a redshirt.  He appeared to have the right attitude the following spring as he recovered from the injury.

As a reserve lineman, he saw action in four games during his redshirt freshman season.

Diamond missed spring practice in 2014 due to a knee surgery, but he found himself on the two-deep heading into the season.

One of those involved in that backup “plan” is reserve guard Jordan Diamond, who is playing behind fellow sophomore Avery Young at right guard following a fall reshuffling of the offensive line.

“It’s been a long time coming. Actually, it’s been a long time since I’ve played a snap,” Diamond said. “I’m just taking it one day at a time and learning from the guys in front of me.”

Jordan appeared in two games his redshirt sophomore season before requiring season-ending back surgery.  He only saw action in one game the following season, his fourth year on campus.

After sitting on the third string in 2016 Spring ball, Diamond announced that he would be leaving the Auburn football program.

Jordan would go on to graduate from Auburn less than a month later.  He ended up at Miami (OH), where he would start all 13 games for the Redhawks in his redshirt senior year.

After the 2016 season, Diamond was granted a sixth year of eligiblity by the NCAA.  He is in line to remain a starter for Miami (OH) in 2017.

LIFE AFTER COLLEGE

Well, Jordan is still in college, but it's safe to say he's going to do some good once he's done.  He plans to start a foundation to help the youth of Chicago.

"I just know that I'm blessed and anything I can do to help somebody, whether it's one person or a million people, I just want to do that," Diamond said when asked why he's starting the Diamond Club.

Diamond said he's thankful every day to have survived his childhood in inner city Chicago. Both his parents are disabled. Since Diamond was young, his dad, Derrick, has battled severe kidney issues, while his mom, Angela, has had several spinal surgeries. Violence was common in Calumet Heights, Diamond said, and his 20-year-old cousin, Trevon Stiger, was fatally shot in Englewood earlier this year.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

Jordan's injuries sidelined him for most of his career, so it's hard to say "what could have been" for him at Ohio State.  I'm sure OSU would have welcomed the depth along the line, but they fared just fine without him.  Any character concerns that arose during Jordan's recruitment seem to have righted themselves during his college career, and that's what made this an enjoyable piece to write.  Jordan appears to be a fine young man who is and will continue to do great things for his community.

UP NEXT: Dwayne Stanford

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments