Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What is Your Ideal 2024 Offense Line?

+6 HS
Cooper's picture
October 30, 2023 at 4:31pm
75 Comments

There has been plenty of talk of McCord's issues in the past few days. The offensive line, in my opinion, is also being fairly criticized for their part in the offense's shortcomings this season. I actually think we have witnessed a lot of improvement in their run blocking in the past few weeks, but their pass blocking regressed a bit last week (I actually think they did a decent job handling Penn State's D Line). There is obviously nothing OSU can do to change the personnel for this season, so what does everyone want the 2024 offensive line to look like?

Matthew Jones is the only lineman who is definitively gone. Donovan Jackson's draft projection has fallen a fair bit to the 4th-5th round, so it is hard to project whether he will stay or leave, especially after Wypler's precipitous fall in the 2023 draft. Fryar will likely be back for a fifth season, Hinzmann will likely return as the starting center, and Simmons is... well he's there.

Whether Jackson returns or stays, I think Fryar should immediately be moved to right guard. His pass pro is a liability and the guard position allows him to show off his greatest strength, which is to be a road grader for the rushing attack. If Jackson stays, that would mean the interior would be set for 2024. The question would then be what to do at the tackle spots. In my mind, Ohio State cannot go another year without finding the best available tackle in the portal. I realize that position is a premium in the portal and will cost a lot of money, but this year has shown they have a desperate need at tackle. Simmons has shown a lot of potential in pass pro, but his quantity of mistakes has not decreased from last season and he is wildly inconsistent. Depending on who OSU grabs out of the transfer portal will determine whether Simmons stays at LT or moves back to RT. 

It is hard to say any of the freshman or Tshabola will fight for a spot next season with very minimal experience. I think Montgomery will fight for the LG spot if Jackson leaves, or he could shift to RT if they choose to move Fryar to RG. Padilla seems to be a nice fit at the center position, but it will be hard to usurp a returning center. I like Austin Siereveld's potential but he is behind Montgomery in the pecking order right now.

How I think OSU will line up next season: LT - Josh Simmons, LG - Donovan Jackson, C - Carson Hinzmann, RG - Josh Fryar, RT - Portal addition

How I want OSU to line up next season: LT - Portal addition, LG - Donovan Jackson, C - Hinzmann, RG - Josh Fryar, RT - Josh Simmons (also wouldn't mind Montgomery taking this spot but it's doubtful)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 75 Comments