Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Question of Respect

+2 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
November 5, 2020 at 10:23am
62 Comments

Urban had that fabulous farewell Gold Pants speech where he talked about respecting the rivalry.  And, as part of that, he talked about TTUN’s “great coaches.”

But, if he took a lie detector test, do you think Urban would pass if he said that he thought Harbaugh was a “great coach?”  How about even a “good coach?”

And does Ryan Day truly think Harbaugh is a great or good coach?

I ask this in part because I have come to the conclusion that, in watching Buckeyes football over six decades, I have come to despise Harbaugh as much as anyone from TTUN—and, the interesting thing is, Harbaugh (as a coach) has not even caused any painful memories for me.

I mean, Bo did more than his fair share of that, and yet I never came close to having the type of antipathy towards him that I do towards Harbaugh.  And I had great respect for Bo—while I have very little for Harbaugh.

I am trying to figure out exactly why it is that Harbaugh elicits such negative emotions from me notwithstanding the fact that he is winless (as a coach) in The Game.  Maybe it has to do with his guaranteed win as a player.

And maybe it has to do with the following too in terms of his character: as heated as it got between Woody and Bo, these two had the utmost of respect for each other and, equally significant, they ultimately were friends.

I just can’t imagine either Urban or Ryan being friends with Harbaugh.

I’m curious: where does Harbaugh rank for you in terms of opposing coaches/players you really despise?  And do you think UFM and Ryan Day have anywhere near the level of respect for Harbaugh that they do for some others of their peers?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 62 Comments