Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Dabo vs Woody

+11 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
December 27, 2019 at 11:56am
23 Comments

I have always found it fascinating how Dabo tries to portray himself as just a regular guy—a real common man or salt of the earth (or whatever cliche you want to plug in here).

Well, here’s where he lives—a 15,000 sq ft “castle”: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxcarolina.com/news/moving-company-off...

He gets paid a gazillion dollars and is not hesitant to flaunt it.  Listen, if you make a ton of money and want to live an ostentatious lifestyle, that’s your business.  But please don’t try to sell me on what a simple, down-home guy you are.  It’s a total crock.

By way of contrast, the coach who walked the walk and truly lived a life as a regular guy who didn’t want to be treated in special fashion was Woody Hayes.

He lived in a very modest wood frame house during his time as coach and he refused to accept any type of extravagant salary.

When he was fired, his assistant in cleaning out Woody’s office discovered a bunch of checks from appearances at various speaking engagements that Woody never cashed.  He literally didn’t want to cash in on anything that had any semblance of being a fundraising dinner of any kind.

Look, I don’t condone Woody having punched Charlie Baumann or having pulverized that yard marker in a game.  He admittedly sometimes went overboard.

But, when it gets right down to who was the personification of integrity and was truly the salt of the earth, Woody was all that and more—and Dabo is not even in the rear view mirror.

Finally, I realize Coach Day also gets paid a ton of money—which obviously is the norm today.  But he strikes me as being just a lot more authentic than Dabo.  I mean, if you have a young son, would you want him to grow up and be like Dabo or Ryan?

So here’s to Woody, and Ryan, and the Buckeyes hopefully ending the streak of falling short against Clemson (because, among other things, I don’t want to have to listen that snake-oil salesman for the next week and a half).

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments