Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU VS CLEM IV "2 Worlds Collide". What Movie Would You Compare The Importance Of This Game to for Buckeye Nation?

+1 HS
Buckeyechuck5's picture
December 27, 2019 at 10:53am
21 Comments

Good morning fellow dubbers. I thank you in advance if you are taking time out of your day to read some thoughts that I have gathered from the week I have spent not sleeping and watching and reading every media narrative on youtube/FOX/ESPN/Letterman Row exc........

Let me begin by giving props to the game poster of a prelude to a "paper tiger" being stepped on. I like the belittling of Clemson's thought to be mighty mascot. However, this game takes on a different meaning to me. My mind is painting a picture of the "Rocky IV" cover:

Of course Clemson representing the Soviets and "Drago". The 2016 match up was in my humble opinion a program trajectory changing loss in the Urban Meyer Era. Although Urban never lost his touch on bringing in "Elite" recruits, that was the first game where you really saw some dis function from the coaching staff start to spill over onto the field from the coaching staff and triggered Urban to seek new and young offensive philosophy and part ways with an offensive game plan that had become stale and predictable and most of all, limited.

Historical Perspective:

I am very on board with the parallels of this match up with Clemson as compared with the 2002 (2003) match up with Miami documented on this sight and many other social media outlets. Same scenario, defending national champs, nations longest winning streak, littered with historical 1st round talent. To all this I say here is your chance Ryan Day. 5 years from now do we look back to this game as the one that started the avalanche of multiple OSU national championships and the tipping point when OSU broke Clemson football like we did Miami, or will we be crowning Clemson their rightful place in the discussion for the team of the decade and officially dethroning Alabama as the gold standard of major college football? Granted, the winner of this game is in now way shape or form granted a national title, but it sure feels like the winner of this game will keep it rolling and take down the winner of LSU/OU. Yes Ohio State is 0-3 vs Clemson, yes Clemson humiliated OSU 31-0 in the last matchup. But let me warn you Clemson, there are other teams that once held this level of voodoo over our beloved program's head. At the risk of showing my age, I for one grew up in the 90's when some of our best Ohio State teams saw national title dreams fall to some very average teams in ann arbor. I honestly believe that Buckeye nation embraced the bitterness that ensued from those defeats and spawned our program into what it has currently become when it comes to that rivalry. I know that is team up north and we are taking about Clemson here. I reference all of this to bolster my theory that Ohio State will figure it out and turn the tide against any program if we play them enough. You have seen this play out over the last 20 years. I also take refuge in the fact that Ohio State is historically at their best when they are the underdog on the biggest stage. Just ask Miami and Alabama and even Oregon (LMAO) for that matter. My prediction is that we look back on the 2019 match up with the paper tigers and 3 words come to mind: "Our Honor Defend" (which will be tattooed down my left tricep if the Bucks beat Clemson). 

Mood:

I was doing fine until the Clemson beat writer arrogantly painted a picture of Ohio State helplessness commonly eluding to the "poor ole" Buckeyes will virtually show up as a sacrificial lamb obliviously being lead to the slaughter as the less than guilty feeling mob looks on. I have been a member on this sight for a handful of years and not once, I repeat, not once read a Q and A with an opposing beat writer that did not at least show some degree of humility and mortality especially to a blue blood program with the pedigree and tradition of Ohio State. First off, please let me inform you Mr. Rink, Ohio State has been a blue blood much longer than your tigers. Its about time your program arrived at the table Buckeye nation has been sitting at for many moons before the Clemson hat was thrown in. What does that mean? It means that no stage will ever be to big for our team, our fan base. Ohio State is historically seasoned for this stage. Clemson can cast a superiority complex over Buckeye nation when they reach 900 wins. Well I guess come talk to me Mr. Rink when your program hits 800. Believe it or not, Ohio State had the offense in 2018 to compete with Clemson, but we all know the defense needed work. That defense has arrived in 2019 and the OSU offensive attack can gash you in every phase. This Ohio State team is being viewed as many as the best they have ever seen in Columbus. I believe it is the best I have seen in my 38 years on this earth. There are plenty of statistics to bolster this opinion as well. 

How I Think It Shakes Out:

I believe Ohio State plays with an edge and ultra aggressive on offense taking the fight right to Brent Venables. OSU asserts their offensive line and runs the football setting up play action for the 2nd half. Olave gets behind Tanner Muse twice for long scores effectively dropping and extra body out of the box paving the way for Dobbins to grind out yards on the ground and catch a few screens out of the backfield. Buckeye defense plays fast and aggressive with the Defensive line breathing fire all night with depth wareing down Clemson as Ohio State keeps rolling in fresh bodies and containing Etienne. Chase Young has 2 sacks and 1 forced fumble. Wade has a pick and Okudah keeps Higgins out of the endzone.

Bucks 27

Clemson 17

Side note: Please feel free to humor me by posting pics of movie comparisons to the upcoming game as it relates to the mood and importance of the impact of the result. You see my reference above. Lets have some fun and loosen up.

To all of Buckeye nation I say, HOW FIRM THY FRIENDSHIP!!!!!! GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments