Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Watching Some PSU Highlights, Here's What I've Noticed

+19 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
November 22, 2019 at 9:29am
94 Comments

I thought since I had some PSU tape pulled up on the tube of you, I might get a thread going on what I'm noticing, and see if we can tell the coaching staff (because you know they're on 11w, because every Buckeye fan is/should be) how to beat the Nittany Lions.

First thing that jumps off the page is this relationship they have between their front 7 and their secondary. The DL and LBs are very aggressive, the LBs especially when they blitz, they're going hell for leather to get to the QB as quick as possible, and I can 100% see why...  Their secondary is BAD. I know we had it published here, 85th in the country, but man, when you translate 85th in the country to tape and actually see it... I know Tanner Morgan of Minnesota is respected within the B1G Ten, but it's not like he's Tom Brady, and he was dropping 60 plus yard dimes on this secondary. Justin Fields should really like what he sees as long as the OL does it's job and protects him. I think screens (which worked well last year) to counter their defensive aggression up front, and some plays that get the ball to the faster guys on the edge will pay huge dividends to get them moving laterally instead of north/south.

Next is their offense, and it appears they have a bit of a feast/famine issue with Clifford. From what I can see he isn't sustaining any reads in the pocket, meaning he's 1-2 reads and then he's pulling it down. That means we need to have a swarming DL (shouldn't be a problem, looking at you Pred) and a mix in the LB corps that keeps Friermuth contained (with potentially some help from the bullet/safety) and guys staying home to make sure if Clifford does take off he's not getting much. 

We know the names, Hamler, Friermuth, Dotson, but I've spent a fair amount of time today looking through some of the film, and I have to say, there isn't anything going on here that has me TOO worried about what PSU is going to bring to the table.

I think the Buckeyes on both sides just have to maintain the integrity of their assignment as they have been doing all year. Does not appear to me that the coaching staff is going to have to pull too many rabbits out of the hat, I think it will most likely be a mismatch. 

Ohio State 45 Penn State 20

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 94 Comments