THE PERTINENT INFO
When: Saturday, November 16, 2019
Where: SHI Stadium, Piscataway, NJ
TV: 3:30 // BTN
Announcers: Brandon Gaudin, James Laurinaitis and Elise Menaker
This will be the sixth time Ohio State and Rutgers have faced each other in football. The Buckeyes hold a 5–0 advantage in the all-time series and are 2–0 when playing the Scarlet Knights in New Jersey.
Nunzio Campanile's team is coming off of a bye week. Two weeks ago, Rutgers lost to Illinois 38-10. The Scarlet Knights have lost seven of their last eight games. The win was against Liberty (Liberty-Liberty-Liberty....Liberty now you have that commercial jingle in your head. You're welcome.)
Below, you will find some interesting facts about the teams, key offensive player stats, coach information, and team stats.
THE LAST TIME...
- Ohio State played Rutgers, the Buckeyes dominated in a 52-3 victory in Columbus.
- This game was played in Piscataway, the Scarlet and Gray won 56-0 in 2017.
- The Buckeyes played on November 16th was 2013. The team defeated Illinois 60-35 in Champaign.
- The Scarlet and Gray lost the tenth game of the season was 2011. Purdue beat Ohio State 26-23 in OT in West Lafayette.
- Ohio State scored on a 2-point conversion in the regular season was against Buffalo in 2013.
ON THE HORIZON
- If Ohio State defeats Rutgers by more than 20 points, the Buckeyes will become the first team in Big Ten history to start the season with 10 wins of 20 or more points.
- Ryan Day is a win away from becoming the second coach in Ohio State history to start his career with 13 consecutive victories.
- J.K. Dobbins (3,656) is 113 yards away from passing Eddie George (3,768) for third on Ohio State's all-time career rushing list.
- K.J. Hill is currently second on Ohio State's all-time receptions list. He needs 13 catches to tie David Boston (191) for first.
- Chase Young (13.5) needs 0.5 a sack to tie Vernon Gholston's single season record of 14.0 sacks for a season.
LET'S GO STREAKING
- Ohio State has won 15 consecutive games.
- The Buckeyes have scored at least 34 points in all 12 games with Ryan Day as head coach.
- Ohio State has 12 consecutive wins against ranked teams.
GET TO KNOW RUTGERS
- Rutgers University is located in New Brunswick, Piscataway and Camden, NJ.
- The university was established in 1766. It was formerly known as Queen's College (1766-1825) and Rutgers College (1825-1925).
- The Scarlet Knights are 2–7 this season.
- Since joining the Big Ten, Rutgers is 7–42 (.143) against conference opponents.
- The original mascot for Rutgers was named Chanticleer, a fighting rooster. It is believed the school switched to the Scarlet Knight after students complained about being represented by a chicken.
- Rutgers and Princeton played in the first collegiate football game on November 6, 1869. Rutgers won the game by a score of 6 runs to Princeton's 4. The rules of the game were believed to be closer to soccer than the football we are accustomed to.
- Notable alumni are: James Gandolfini (The Sopranos), Bernard Marcus (Home Depot founder), Bill Rasmussen (ESPN founder), David Stern (former NBA Commisioner) and Jim Valvano (NC State basketball coach and inspiration of the V Foundation)
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
- On this year's roster, how many Buckeyes are from New Jersey?
- How many consecutive conference games have the Scarlet Knights lost?
- Can you name the last Big Ten team Rutgers beat? Bonus, what year?
- Can you name the first Big Ten team Rutgers defeated as a member of the conference?
Answers at the bottom of today's article.
|JUSTIN FIELDS||1,859 YDS // 27 TD // 1 INT||PASSING||JOHNNY LANGAN||498 YDS // 3 TD // 6 INT|
|J.K. DOBBINS||1,200 YDS // 7.2 YPC // 11 TD||RUSHING||ISAIH PACHECO||541 YDS // 4.4 YPC // 6 TD|
|CHIS OLAVE||454 YDS // 9 TD||RECEIVING||BO MELTON||312 YDS // 1 TD|
|MALIK HARRISON||46||TACKLES||TYSHON FOGG||81|
|CHASE YOUNG||13.5||SACKS||RASHAWN BATTLE||2.0|
|JEFF OKUDAH||3||INTERCEPTIONS||DAMON HAYES||2|
|GARRETT WILSON||10.7 YPR||PUNT RETURNER||AVERY YOUNG||2.7|
|DEMARIO McCALL||24.2 YPR||KICKOFF RETURN||AARON YOUNG||22.9|
|DRUE CHRISMAN||45.7||PUNTING||ADAM KORSAK||44.6|
- 12–0 (1.00) at Ohio State
- 12–0 (1.00) overall
Day's hometown is Manchester, NH. He attended Manchester High School and attended college at New Hampshire. Day has been in coaching for 18 years and is Ohio State's 25th head coach.
After this season's first eight games, Ryan Day and the Buckeyes are outscoring their opponents 386-63. That is an average victory of 48-8. The numbers stay fairly steady when you add in the three games Day coached last season.
After 12 games with Day as head coach, Ohio State is beating teams by an average score of 52-12. The only teams not to lose to Day by more than 40 points are Oregon State, TCU, Florida Atlantic and Wisconsin. He has the program record for points scored after his first 12 games with 628.
Urban Meyer and Carroll Widdoes are the only other coaches in program history to start their careers with 12 straight victories. However, neither of them won their games as convincingly as Day.
- 1–4 (.200) at Rutgers (1st year)
- 1–4 (.200) overall as a college head coach (1st year)
- 0–4 (.000) against B1G opponents
Campanlie started the season as the Scarlet Knight's offensive coordinator. Prior to coaching in Piscataway, Campanile was the head man at Bergen Catholic High School and won the New Jersey state title in 2017. He was also the offensive coordinator at New Jersey powerhouse Don Bosco Prep from 2000-09.
He started his career at Rutgers as coach of the running backs in 2018. He moved to the tight ends room to start this season, before taking over the interim spot after Chris Ash was relieved of his job.
CLIFF CLAVEN'S LITTLE KNOWN FACTS CORNER
- 1.....Ohio State's rank in total, passing and scoring defense.
- 2......Ohio State's rank in red zone and 3rd down conversion defense.
- 3......Ohio State's rank in rushing offense and turnover margin.
- 4......Number of times the Buckeyes have scored 50 or more points this year.
- 5......Strip sacks for Chase Young this season.
- 8......Total touchdowns the Silver Bullets have allowed this season.
- 15.....Different Ohio State players have recorded a sack this year.
- 16.....Starts the Buckeyes' Jonah Jackson had for Rutgers between 2017-18.
- 19.....Takeaways created by the Silver Bullets and straight home wins for the Scarlet and Gray.
- 22.....Times the Buckeyes have scored 40 or more points since 2017.
- 23.....Consecutive home wins for Ohio State against unranked Big Ten opponents.
- 27....Touchdowns Fields has accounted for through nine games.
- 29.....Rushing touchdowns for the Buckeyes this year.
- 35.....Straight games the Scarlet and Gray has scored at least 20 points.
- 40.....Number of Buckeye first downs against Maryland, 3rd most in program history.
- 43.....Consecutive games K.J. Hill has caught a pass, the program record is 48.
- 49.....Minimum number of points OSU has scored on Rutgers in the first five games.
- 52.....Total offensive touchdowns scored by the 2019 Buckeyes.
- 65.....Punts Drue Chrisman has downed inside the 20 during his OSU career.
- 70.....Ohio State has scored at least 70 points twice this year, first time since 1996.
- 101...Wins for the Buckeyes this decade.
- 122...Touchdown passes thrown by Ohio State quarterbacks since 2017.
- 208...Offensive touchdowns for the Buckeyes since 2017.
- 225...Minimum number of rushing yards for OSU in first nine games.
- 255...First downs gained by Ohio State this year, best in the country.
- 283...Points scored by OSU in the first half this season, opposing teams have 31.
- 456...Wins for Ohio State in Ohio Stadium.
- 459...The number of points the Buckeyes have scored in nine games, the most ever in program history.
- 581...Touchdowns scored by the Scarlet and Gray since 2012, most in the country.
- 589...Buckeye football games played in Ohio Stadium.
- 913...Times Ohio State has been ranked in the AP poll.
- 920...Number of official wins for the program (we know it's actually 932).
|91.3||1st||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||142.5||90th|
TODAY'S TRIVIA ANSWERS
On this year's roster, how many Buckeyes are from New Jersey?
Answer: Five. Chris Chugunov, Tyler Friday, Jordan Fuller, Ronnie Hickman and Javontae Jean-Baptiste.
How many consecutive conference games have the Scarlet Knights lost?
Answer: 18. Hopefully that number increases to 19 on Saturday evening.
Can you name the last Big Ten team Rutgers beat? Bonus, what year?
On 11/4/2017, Rutgers beat Maryland 31-24 in Piscataway.
Can you name the first Big Ten team Rutgers defeated as a member of the conference?
The Scarlet Knights defeated Michigan, 26-24, in Week 6 of the 2014 season.