THE PERTINENT INFO
When: Saturday, September 21, 2019
Where: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
TV: 3:30 // BTN
Announcers: Brandon Gaudin, James Laurinaitis and Elise Menaker
This will be the sixth time Ohio State and Miami (1–2) have faced each other in football. All of the games have been played in Columbus and the Buckeyes lead the series 5–0.
Chuck Martin's team lost to Cincinnati, 35-13, last week. The RedHawks lost to Iowa, 38-14, in the season opener.
Below, you will find some interesting facts about the teams, key offensive player stats, coach information, and team stats.
THE LAST TIME...
- Ohio State played Miami was 2012. The Scarlet and Gray won 56-10 in Ohio Stadium.
- The Buckeyes lost the third game of the season was 2004, Randy Walker and Northwestern won 33-27 in OT.
- Ohio State played on September 21st was 2013. The team destroyed FCS Florida A&M 76-0.
- The Scarlet and Gray played a team from the MAC was 2016, they blew out Bowling Green 77-10.
- The Buckeyes lost to a team from the MAC was...never.
ON THE HORIZON
- Saturday will be Ohio State's 27th time the Buckeyes play a team from the MAC.
- A victory will earn the Buckeyes their 78th in the fourth game of the season.
- J.K. Dobbins is 119 rushing yards for 3,000 in his career. He will become the 11th Ohio State player to achieve this milestone.
- Chase Young needs 5 sacks to become the second Buckeye to have back-to-back double digit sack seasons.
- Ohio State is looking for its 42nd consecutive win over an in-state opponent.
- K.J. Hill needs 35 catches to break David Boston's program record for career receptions. He had two catches against Indiana last week.
GET TO KNOW MIAMI
- Miami University is located in Oxford, Ohio.
- The school was established in 1809 and is the second oldest university in Ohio.
- Miami is in its 131st season of playing football.
- Swoop the Redhawk is the team mascot.
- Miami started playing football in 1888, but didn't have a team in 1890.
- The football team was 6–6 in 2018.
- Since 2013, Miami is 23–53 (.303).
- Notable alumni are Benjamin Harrison (US President), Mike DeWine (Ohio's Governor), John Harbaugh (Ravens' head coach), Ben Roethlisberger (broken QB) and Paul Brown (Ohio State and NFL legendary coach).
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
- How many yards has J.K. Dobbins rushed for in the first half of the last two games?
- What team has been ranked in the AP Poll the most weeks?
- Can you name the current Ohio State assistant coach that was an assistant at Miami (Ohio) for eight seasons?
Answers at the bottom of today's article.
|JUSTIN FIELDS||657 YDS // 9 TD // 0 INT||PASSING||BRETT GABBERT||481 YDS // 2 TD // 1 INT|
|J.K. DOBBINS||425 YDS // 7.1 YPC // 4 TD||RUSHING||TYRE SHELTON||108 YDS // 4.5 YPC // 1 TD|
|BINJIMEN VICTOR||200 YDS // 1 TD||RECEIVING||JALEN WALKER||113 YDS // 0 TD|
|JORDAN FULLER||17||TACKLES||STERLING WEATHERFORD||20|
|CHASE YOUNG||5.0||SACKS||KAMERON BUTLER||2.0|
|DAMON ARNETTE||1 (TD)||INTERCEPTIONS||BART BARATTI||1 (TD)|
|DEMARIO McCALL||11.0 YPR||PUNT RETURNER||MAURICE THOMAS||12.0|
|DEMARIO McCALL||21.8 YPR||KICKOFF RETURN||DAVION JOHNSON||23.0|
|DRUE CHRISMAN||43.6||PUNTING||KYLE KRAMER||43.9|
- 6–0 (1.00) at Ohio State*
- 6–0 (1.00) overall*
Day's hometown is Manchester, NH. He attended Manchester High School and attended college at New Hampshire. Day has been in coaching for 18 years and is Ohio State's 25th head coach.
*won three games as Ohio State's acting coach in 2018.
- 23–41 (.359) at Miami (6th year)
- 97–48 (.669) overall as a college head coach (12th year)
- 20–20 (.500) against MAC opponents
Chuck Martin was born in Park Forest, IL and attended college at Millikin Univesity where he played safety and was a place kicker. Martin also played basketball for The Big Blue as a guard.
After his GA stint at Mankato State, bounced around as a defensive coach for Wittenberg, Millikin, Eastern Michigan and Grand Valley State. In 2004, he became Grand Valley State's head coach and guided Lakers to 74 wins, 7 losses and three national championships over six seasons. Martin has been honored as the American Football Coaches Association Coach of the Year twice. In 2015, he was inducted into Grand Valley State's Hall of Fame.
CLIFF CLAVEN'S LITTLE KNOWN FACTS CORNER
- 0......number of interceptions Justin Fields has thrown this season.
- 2......straight regular season Big Ten games that Chris Olave has blocked a punt.
- 4......Of the 25 Buckeye head coaches, only four have started their career 6–0. Day is one of them.
- 5......Chase Youngs sacks after three games.
- 7.1...Average yards per play for the offense against Cincinnati.
- 9.......Touchdown passes Justin Fields has thrown this year.
- 10.....True freshman have played this year.
- 12.....Ohio State's rank in total defense, 252.7 yards per game.
- 15.....K.J. Hills rank for career receiving yards (1,797).
- 19.....Career sacks for The Predator.
- 24.....Consecutive wins is the program record set by Urban Meyer in 2012-13.
- 42.....straight games the Scarlet and Gray has defeated an in-state opponent.
- 57.....Number of yards Ohio State's defense is allowing per game, 4th in the nation.
- 60.....Punts Drue Chrisman has downed inside the 20 during his OSU career.
- 95.....Number of wins Ohio State has had this decade.
- 171...Rushing yards the Silver Bullets have allowed through three games.
- 192...straight PATs have been converted by the Buckeyes since 10/22/2016.
- 452...wins OSU has had in Ohio Stadium.
- 585...Buckeye football games played in Ohio Stadium.
- 742...passing yards Indiana has accumulated against OSU the past two games.
- 905...times Ohio State has been ranked in the AP poll.
- 914...number of official wins for the program (we know it's actually 926).
|111.0||27th||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||137.6||89th|
TODAY'S TRIVIA ANSWERS
How many yards has J.K. Dobbins rushed for in the first half of the last two games?
Answer: 316, remember those are his first half totals. He has rushed for 425 yards in three games this season (109 in the second half).
What team has been ranked in the AP Poll the most weeks?
Answer: Ohio State, the program has been in the AP Poll a record 905 weeks...and counting.
Can you name the current Ohio State assistant coach that was an assistant at Miami (Ohio) for eight seasons?
Answer: Kevin Wilson, he was an assistant for Randy Walker from 1990-98.