Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Applying Muay Thai Strategy / Unwritten Rules to Football Approach

+1 HS
Zimmy07's picture
October 24, 2018 at 10:03pm
19 Comments

I read an article the other day because I was uncertain as to how Muay Thai (Thai boxing) fights were scored.  The article gave a really good explanation as well for the scoring and also went into other things.

https://evolve-vacation.com/blog/a-guide-to-the-muay-thai-scoring-system/

It’s a good read.  It made me think some about my frustration with seemingly having to wait until halftime to make adjustments.  Muay Thai fighters go through a feeling out process against their opponents before initiating their full attack.  Philosophically, I think this would work quite well in football.

“Because of the unique scoring system, Muay Thai fights have evolved to also somehow develop certain codes and understandings among fighters in the scene.

Fighters usually use the first round to feel the opponent out; meaning that they use the round to scrutinize and study the style and reactions of the opponent.”

Have scripted plays that test and show exactly how the opponent is defending those plays.  Preplan counters to attack multiple expected defenses after it becomes clear what their strategy is.

“in a typical five-round match usually only picks up in the second or third round,

After the intensity picks up around the second or third round and reaches its climax in the fourth or early in the fifth, most fans and spectators may see the action start to slow down dramatically in the middle, close to the end, or even at the start of the fifth and final round.

This is due to the fact that in the final round if both fighters believe that they have done enough to win the fight, they will not see the need to dish out risk receiving any further damage. However, in many cases if the fight is indeed extremely close to both fighters or if the stakes are high, the action will continue at a high intensity till the end.”

I also kind of agree with preplanning some sort of signaling to call off the dogs between coaches.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments