Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2018 Football Outsiders NCAA Offensive Line and Defensive Line Metrics Just Published

+6 HS
TomD's picture
October 17, 2018 at 7:31pm
15 Comments

After 7 weeks, the 2018 Football Outsiders metrics for the OL and DL have been issued.

For the OL in 2018, the Buckeyes rank 60th of the 129 FBS Division I football teams in Run Blocking, as measured by Line Yards per Carry and 19th in Pass Protection, as measured in Sack Rate. For the 2017 season, the Buckeyes ranked 8th and 30th, respectively.

For the DL in 2018, the Buckeyes rank 15th against the Run and 15th against the Pass. For 2017, the rankings were 1st and 19th, respectively. 

For comparison, in 2018 Alabama's OL is 3rd in Run Blocking and 13th in Pass Protection.  Their DL is 35th against the run and 8th against the pass.

Focusing on the OL,

(1) the Opportunity Rate ranking, the percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak, the Buckeyes rank 32nd with 50.9%,

(2) the Power Success Rate, percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown, the Buckeyes rank 61st, 71.4%, and

(3) the Stuff Rate, percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage, the Buckeyes rank 79th, 19.6%.

In 2017, by contrast, the Buckeyes ranked 2nd, 21st and 3rd respectively. Of note, the 2018 Buckeye OL is 54th in Standard Down Run Blocking (Line Yards) (5th in 2017) and 68th in Passing Down Run Blocking (13th in 2017).

Focusing on the DL, keeping in mind that for the defensive stats lower numbers are better:

(1) the Opportunity Rate ranking, the percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak, the Buckeyes rank 12th with 38.8%,

(2) the Power Success Rate, percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown, the Buckeyes rank 16th, 57.1%, and

(3) the Stuff Rate, percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage, the Buckeyes rank 21st, 24.1%.

In 2017, by contrast, the Buckeyes ranked 1st, 39th and 10th, respectively. Of note, the 2018 DL ranks 115th in Pass Downs Line Yards, probably due to the long runs from scrimmage this year.

Lots of numbers to sort through, and I realize that this is a long post, but the information is worth a look.  As with all metrics and analytics, it is a means to better understand but doesn't provide the whole picture. Much more there to digest at the FO website if you are inclined to do so.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments