Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Ohio State Botched the Press Conference (again), Which Has Led to the Current Backlash.

+5 HS
smith5568's picture
August 23, 2018 at 1:52pm
51 Comments

I will say that based on the report, I can't get too upset over the suspension of Urban Meyer. However, in my opinion the messaging was terrible in the press conference and particularly the remarks of Mary Jo White and President Drake. They muddied the reasons why Urban and Gene were suspended, which has led to this latest media backlash. They glanced over the message thinking people would read the report and come to rational conclusions, but they forgot that we don't live in that world anymore.

In my opinion, an accurate and clear statement from both of them would have contained language to the effect of:

"Urban and Gene's suspensions are not related to the 2015 allegations against Zach Smith, any cover up of domestic violence, or their handling of that particular situation. There were never any arrests or charges brought and through our investigation we found conflicting accounts of the facts surrounding the Smith marriage which made us, and likely Urban and Gene, unable to make a definitive decision on those allegations. Furthermore, they relied on local authorities to aid in their determination, and charges have yet to be filed. However, through the process of the investigation certain other actions that were unrelated to domestic violence led us to believe Urban Meyer and Gene Smith kept an employee on staff much longer than they should have. For these other actions, we imposed the suspensions." 

You could then include some language about the false reporting surrounding media days, condemn the smear journalism, and express serious concern for domestic violence. 

I think the above would have allowed Ohio State to clearly separate the issues and drive the narrative today. But once again our inept PR department missed the ball entirely. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments