Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Chicago Trib. Predicts Meyer Will Remain at TOSU, but Gene Smith is a Goner

+22 HS
blu.fan's picture
August 14, 2018 at 3:45pm
244 Comments

Teddy Greenstein, a columnist with the Chicago Trib and Northwestern Alum, wrote a column about Urban Meyer today, Tues. Aug. 14.

LINK:  Urban Meyer may face suspension, but don't expect him to lose his job at Ohio State.

Here's the money quote from the article:

I’m saying Ohio State officials will suspend Meyer for multiple games – and not only because of what the public backlash (at least outside a 200-mile radius of Columbus) would be if they don’t.

Meyer damaged the program. He dragged down the name of the university.

He allowed an assistant coach with drinking and anger issues, at minimum, to coach and mentor his receivers. What Meyer would not tolerate among his players – at least not his least talented ones – he tolerated in Smith.

And why? Because he is Earle Bruce’s grandson, and Bruce was a father figure to Meyer? Because Meyer figured if he put Smith out on the street, he’d be finished in the business? Because Meyer thinks he can save every scoundrel? Because Smith had developed into a solid assistant coach? Because Meyer was worried that Smith, deemed a loose cannon, would turn on him if he were dismissed?

None of those reasons is good enough, of course.

Meyer will survive this, but his credibility tank is on empty.

Of course I don't know what will happen, but I suspect Greenstein might be right. Given that Meyer reported things to Smith or others, they were responsible to take action. It's all speculation now, but I'd guess that Meyer will be suspended 3 - 4 games, basically non-conference games, Gene Smith will step down, and that will be the end of it.

The only other thing is that Meyer has pretty much used up his credibility, his "get-out-of-jail-free" card, at least outside of Ohio. He will have more pressure going forward.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 244 Comments