Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Report and Clearing Urban's Name

+21 HS
OSU_JD's picture
August 12, 2018 at 2:06am
173 Comments

I would like to lay out a case as to why the coming Report, IF it is going to recommend Urban Meyer's retention, cannot solely focus on "policies and procedures." I am speculating here, but I believe the Report is going to show Courtney Smith acted in some way that will completely destroy her credibility. 

This is what OSU is up against:

This is basically national opinion: Smith was a known abuser, Urban Meyer knew and protected him and covered it up.  It is, of course, a simplistic and ridiculous read of the situation, but unfortunately people just read headlines, form a set-in-stone opinion, and move on. 

A "policies and procedures" investigation would not take 14 days.  It would take one day, and it could be conducted by OSU HR or any random law firm if you wanted it to be objective.  The investigation would simply look at what was required of Meyer, did he meet those requirements, and conclude.

A "policies and procedures" investigation would not require a committee of Trustees and politicians and an investigative team headed by a pitbull of an attorney in Mary Jo White.  White prosecuted Gotti and the 1993 World Trade Center Bombers. Debevoise & Plimpton is the whitest of the white-shoe law firms. A "policies and procedures" investigation does not need this kind of firepower.

A "policies and procedures" investigation REEKS of cover-up.  It would serve to confirm national opinion, as embodied in the Tweet above.

A "polices and procedures" investigation also carries significant additional risks, in further "surprises" from Courtney Smith and her mouthpiece in Brett McMurphy. They have shown a willingness to play "gotcha" games and withhold pertinent information in an effort to trap the principals in the Smith Saga.  A "policies and procedures" conclusion does not avoid the potential of a lawsuit from Courtney Smith. 

A "policies and procedures" conclusion does not protect anybody at Ohio State from future questions or accusations from the media. It does nothing for Shelley Meyer, for example. She will be subject to endless vicious rumors for the rest of her life, if a "policies and procedures" conclusion comes out. 

However, if the committee and its investigative staff were truly going to review everything dating back to 2009 and what Urban knew when and what the entire coaching staff knew when and what the wives knew when and what former coaches who have moved on knew when...there is no way they could complete something that comprehensive in 14 days.

I believe what is being prepared is a Report that is not only going to reinstate Urban Meyer, but ensure OSU's reputation is restored.  The ONLY way that is going to happen is if Courtney Smith did something that destroys her credibility completely, and OSU can prove it. 

There are only hints of evidence that this is the kind of thing coming, but to me, it is the only thing that can explain what appears to be supreme confidence on the part of the Athletic Department and Urban Meyer.  We know Urban's statement is confident.  Obviously, I did not hear Gene Smith say the following, but the "certainly" is a clue here:

This entire post is speculative, I grant, but if many heads were going to roll in the Athletic Department and the football program, I feel that kind of earthquake would have at least made some rumblings already. 

My theory is Urban and Gene knew that someday Mt. St. Courtney would blow her stack, and they would be ready for it. 

Some objections I am sure I will hear:

1. "It isn't the committee's business to determine who is lying in the Smith drama!"

1A: Actually, we are not entirely sure what the committee is doing.  I do not believe they have released any sort of mission statement or objective.  My understanding is they are simply "looking into" everything surrounding this situation. For example, Zach Smith has said he is talking to them this week.  If this were a "policies and procedures" investigation...why would they need to talk to him at all? The evidence would already be present showing UFM reported the 2015 incidents. 

2. "It will look bad for OSU to go after the 'victim'"

2A:  First of all, it really cannot look any worse for OSU at the moment.  Again, the tweet I embedded is a popular opinion nationwide: people believe the football program and possibly OSU as an institution cared so much about football they willingly covered for domestic violence.  With the exception of PSU, that is about as bad as it gets. Moreover, if they have something that completely exonerates UFM, they are going to need to show it. 

All of this is based on the notion that they are keeping Urban Meyer.  Which, to me, if they were not going to do so, this would be over already.

The TL;DR here: OSU has something that is going to end the national narrative completely, clear Urban's good name, and put an end to speculation and "surprises" from Courtney Smith forever. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 173 Comments