Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

I Think There is a Perspective That the DubCast Missed This Week

+5 HS
RCRoy45's picture
August 8, 2018 at 2:33pm
88 Comments

Johnny G said over and over that keeping Zach Smith on the staff was a "SERIOUS case of bad judgement"... but my question is that Courtney Smith she really want Zach Smith fired at that point and lose all of her income?  50% of $0 is less than 50% of $360,000 or whatever his salary was - We all know the answer to that one.  That is the question the media NEVER asks.. what if Urban fired Smith  in 2015.. sure it's not Ohio State's problem any more.. but that family is majorly screwed.. and a volatile situation just got 1000% more volatile.. with zero income or at the very best a greatly reduced standard of living for both Zach and Courtney and the kids... and the media or the DubCast thinks that would have been the best decision to make.. It is for the University.... but terrible for Courtney Smith and her family from a financial standpoint - I wonder if Shelley actually convinced Urban to keep Zach on the staff and try to find a position at another school to transition him to..and there were zero takers... Either way... I don't know.. and the media doesn't know.. but my theory is just as plausible as any other.

I personally think Zach Smith is a bad bad guy... and Urban let his loyalty to Earle get in the way of his usual sound decision making.. but one also has to remember... this is not an arms length employment situation.. so ask yourself.. if you hired your best friends kid or grandkid... I think there is a high probability that you would give them much more latitude than you would a complete stranger.. and they would have to mess up and mess up and mess up before you took action... not saying that is right.. but saying that is real human nature... I also think that given the situation and the history of volatility and 911 calls with no arrests - no chance Urban puts up with that unless he is trying to fix a bad situation... because that person is like family to him... 

This isnt' a win at any costs move as some in the media are labeling it.. I think we all agree that Zach Smith was by far the worst position coach on the team.. and could be responsible for missing the 2015 playoffs... One of my life mantras as I have gotten older is now "if you have a piece of crap in your life.. no matter if they are family.. you have to cut them loose or they will eventually bring you down too"...  and this is easier said than done with close family and friends... or even co-workers  even for someone like Urban Meyer.  I'm not talking about someone who constantly does dumb things.. I am talking about someone with a bad heart and bad soul.. which it seems very likely ZS was - you just can't have it around...

Now that being said...  I just think Urban keeping ZS on staff is not as cut and dry as some are making this out to be... 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 88 Comments