Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why Are Players Who Transfer from Ohio State Eligible to Play Immediately?

+5 HS
Stellar's picture
July 30, 2018 at 6:01am
26 Comments

I remember people asking about this when Jack Wohlabaugh was declared eligible to play this year at Duke, but I don't remember anybody giving a good reason.  And now I saw where Antonio Williams was declared immediately eligible to play this year at UNC without sitting out a year.  One of our transfers getting a waiver seems like an outlier, but two in the same year seems like a trend.

As I understood the rules a player has to have already graduated in order to be immediately eligible after transferring, like Joe Burrow when he went to LSU.  If you haven't graduated you're supposed to sit out a year unless you have a special set of individual problems like a family emergency that forces your to move or an institutional problem like Ole Miss lying to Shea Patterson.  But as far as I can tell Wohlabaugh and Williams transferred because they were buried on the depth chart and were looking for a situation where they can play sooner - standard underclassman transfers.  So why are they eligible this year?  Do they each have some special circumstances that we're not aware of?  Did the NCAA change the rules?  Or, god forbid, is there some sort of institutional issue that allows players leaving Ohio State to get special privileges like the Ole Miss transfers did?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments