Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Skip Bayless: "Ohio State Belonged in These Playoffs"

+4 HS
Tesel's picture
January 9, 2018 at 4:17pm
128 Comments

Even after the national championship game, Skip Bayless claims that Alabama was undeserving of their playoff spot.

I'm going to say it one more time. Alabama did not belong in these playoffs.

Ohio State belonged in these playoffs. And Nick Saban, to his credit, was able to use that backlash against Alabama as us against the world motivation in the Clemson game, which they won, which was far more impressive to me than the win last night against a Georgia team they should have beaten soundly last night. Because it's a meat and potatoes running team...

The full video: https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1132747843792

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but this single quote sums up all of my concerns about Alabama's championship.

First: Did they actually deserve their spot?

It seems that Ohio State's wins over Wisconsin and Penn State surpass anything on Alabama's resume. They also went 9-2 against P5 teams compared to Alabama's 8-1. It's still debatable, but many people believe their superior resume and conference championship outweighed a horrible loss to Iowa.

Second, and more importantly: Were they really better in the eye test?

A 24-6 win over No. 1 Clemson seemed to remove any debate about this topic, but then Alabama took the field against Georgia. Their rushing attack greatly struggled against Georgia as they showed their vulnerability to strong rush defense, which is not a recipe for success against Ohio State's defensive line. After watching the National Championship Game, I tend to believe that Ohio State's defense would at the very least have been competitive against Alabama or Georgia. The offense... may have scored more than 0 points in the first half.

While I'll congratulate Alabama for their national championship, I'll always question the way they got there.

EDIT: I agree with a lot of people that this is a fairly crazy thing for him to say. It was obviously designed to attract views (and I was struggling to word my title without being click-bait), and I question whether he believes it. Although Alabama making the playoffs was and is questionable, I don't think you can detract from their wins.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 128 Comments