Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Chase, Pt. 2?

+5 HS
BuckeyeInDenver's picture
January 9, 2018 at 10:50am
46 Comments

I'm not one to ascribe a great deal of importance to Meyer's chosen "theme" for any particular season, but after watching last night's game, particularly in view of the context in which Bama got into the playoff, I can't help but wonder if now is the time to revive the 2014 theme, "The Chase."

IIRC, the idea behind that theme was to motivate the team to catch up to Alabama, the absolute premier program in college football. At the time, while OSU was obviously a respected powerhouse in CFB, there was no denying that Bama was the top dog, and the Buckeyes wanted to send a message that there was a new sheriff in town. And they did just that.

But since then, Alabama has bounced back and won two national titles since we last played them. Meanwhile, OSU has either been excluded from or embarrassed in the playoff. The gap between the programs, however slight it may be, seems to be widening in the eyes of the casual football fan/pundit.

I liked what I saw from Martell and Haskins on Twitter last night. They seem to be stepping into leadership roles and sending the message to the rest of the program that they're not OK with settling for a New Year's Six bowl (not that OSU ever has been). They want to go all the way next year; they want Bama.

What do you all think -- should Urban explicitly use Alabama as a source of motivation going into the '18 season?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments