College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Stop Talking About an 8 Team Playoff

+5 HS
NeemOSU's picture
January 9, 2018 at 3:40am
72 Comments

I'm tired of reading all the posts from fans clamoring about how the committee is rigged and biased and that there needs to be an 8 team playoff. Does NOBODY see why this is a problem?

You devalue the regular season by expanding the field. Alabama and Ohio State would make it every year unless they lost more than 4 times. Big brand names would be a lock and conference championships would become a running joke. Why should Ohio State try to win the conference when a 9-3 season guarantees the 6th seed? Why waste energy? The counter argument is UCF, who went undefeated but didn't have a chance because of the conference they were in. People also forget Houston a couple years back cracked the top 5, and would have made the playoff had they not imploded.

You take players away from their families EVEN LONGER. December is used as a time for players to spend time with their families without worrying about classes or football. We as fans are so selfish we forget football players are human too.

The system isn't great right now, there's no denying that. Every year so far a problem has arisen.  The point I'm trying to make is that with a little more time this will be a perfect system. I think all you need to make the system great is declare that you HAVE to be a Conference Champion, then the committee will select the 4 best teams out of the 5 conferences (6 for cases like Houston and UCF) The committee can then make their choices depending on Strength Of Schedule and Eye Test. If you have 2 losses and are a conference champ, you are nominated for a spot. If you have one loss but you don't have a conference trophy to show, you don't cut it. Go play a NY6 with the rest of the non champs. The left out P5 champ and the Highest Ranked Group 5 champ duke it out in the best bowl possible outside of the CFP. Problem Solved.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments