Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Losing Effect: That Team (The Game)

Matt Gutridge's picture
November 26, 2017 at 9:45am
59 Comments

Another year and another loss for our rival in The Game. Ohio State has won 13 of the last 14 in the series and it never gets old.

Note: This is written as a reminder on how not to respond when your favorite team loses or struggles. 

No

The team that is coached by the one who wears khakis has lost five of its last six games played against ranked teams. The win was against No. 17 Florida (4–7) in Week 1 of this season.

Comparing Harbaugh and Hoke Through 38 Games
OPPONENT     HARBAUGH     HOKE
RANKED OPPONENTS     5–7     3–11
OHIO STATE     0–3     1–2
MICHIGAN STATE     1–2     1–1
BCS/NY6 BOWL     0–1     1–0
OVERALL     28–10     26–12

After 38 games, Harbaugh only has two more wins than Brady Hoke. However, the Hokester did get a win over Luke Fickell's Buckeyes in 2011.

Temper, temper

The men so blue are having another meltdown after their team's sixth straight loss to the Buckeyes. In his first two seasons, The One Who Wears Khakis finished with three losses. This year their team has four losses and could finish with five. 

It was hazardous, but well worth the venture on mgoblog.com. Now you don't have to read all 331 comments.

As always, the words are theirs. It was difficult, but spelling and grammatical errors were not corrected. 

Losing To Ohio State...Again...Again...Again...Again...Again...And Again

Stringer Bell

At some point you just become numb to getting beat by OSU over and over again. I guess it helps to not care when you know every single year going in that you're going to lose.

UM Indy

It’s not a rivalry anymore. It’s not fun anymore. It’s just kind of there.

mistersuits

I tell myself ahead of time. I warn myself. I cajole myself not to get upset, not to get my hopes up, not to get set up for disappointment, not to let the inevitable unlucky bounce or bad call piss me off. Now I just wish I didn't feel at all. Heart goes out to the players. Throw another log on the fire.

SpilledMilk

I thought we had them on the ropes

When they lost both starting tackles and Barrett.

rc90

This year stung because my team is up 14 at home, at which point the defensive back drops an easy interception, and I think "Shit, Michigan is going to lose to the Ohio State University aagain, aren't they?" And that turns out to be correct.

WeimyWoodson

Urban has sold his soul to the devil

OSU just continues to have the greatest luck of any coach I've ever seen. The guy has just won a million guys, and for most part never loses. Just infuriating. Of course OSU would overcome a 14 point deficit despite never having done that before, of course they'd score another td at the end, of course a backup would come in light us up.

SugarShane

This is literally the standard for the past decade

At first it was solid crushing. Then it was annoying. 10 Years later, it’s a shrug and move on. This is life now as a Michigan fan. We will play them close. Then they will win

How are u not dead inside by now?

ppudge

The only thing that seems to change each season is that I get older.

Wolvie3758

ANOTHER couldve wouldve shouldve game against OSU Plaqued by stupid penalties , big mistakes and poor QB play...When will EVER end?

we just continue to find ways to han d the game to Ohio St year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year..There should not be ONE Michigan fan that can acept this con tinual FAILURE...we are a laughing stock in  the college FB world and mocked repeately for our medocrity ..Arent you sick of it?

Tom Burke

Maybe we should just start playing Rutgers during Rivalry week.

I'm 23, been a Michigan fan my entire life. Don't really have any full fledged football memories prior to me being 10 (aka 2003 or earlier). I can only remember Michigan beating OSU once ever. I've never seen us beat an even decent OSU team. We went 0-4 during my undergrad. It's just sad man.– Bambi

Sad Fans

Turning On Each Other

go50blue

I'm 63 and I remember all the ups and downs of Michigan football since I grew up in Ann Arbor and went to elementary school here while my dad went to dental school in the 60s, Michigan is one of the best football schools in the country, so stick by it for a lifetime or pick another team, go blue!

Occam's Razor

You should be thanking us millennials that we even give a fuck about Michigan football given how shitty M football has been in our lifetime. 

1-19 as underdogs since 2012. 

2 for 17 against OSU

2 fof 10 against MSU. 

But sure, we're bad fans. 

Maybe the team should actually make a play in a big game so the fans can actually cheer instead of being let down yet again. 

Stringer Bell

Hope they all got their participation trophies

Monocle Smile

Get fucked

I am hoping for Mass bans this weekend, and I want you to be in the first wave.

ST3

I am hoping that the first wave includes people who tell other people to, "Get fucked." Don't stoop to their level.

Cranky Dave

Right

Because only Little Miss Mary Sunshine’s allowed on this bog.
I mean people getting nasty towards others on here fine ban them. But banning people who feel like major college football players should be expected to do more than try hard...cumong man.

Stringer Bell

Sorry for offending your

Sorry for offending your delicate sensibilities. Maybe you should grow a pair.

Novak-blood

Wow, that's just blatantly

Wow, that's just blatantly inappropriate. You need to take a step back from the keyboard and take some deep breaths. Maybe yoga or something. Jeez.

Kermits Blue Key

He may consider jumping off of a building, but you have surely jumped the shark. Calm the fuck down!!

93Grad

You are such a total

Loser

Monocle Smile

My favorite

is talk about "mental toughness" from overweight, middle aged failures whose kids hate them.

Njia

Go home

You’re drunk.

matty blue

congrats. you're the biggest dickhead i've seen on the board yet today.  that's quite a high mark.

Go back under your rock, fuckhead. You are stupidly stupid.– yossarians tree

Harbaugh
Turning On The One Who Wears Khakis And Their Coaches

Wolvie3758

face it the program is mediocre and nothing has changed under JH

RickyPowers

Doesn’t the coaching bear some responsibility for the poor QB play? Harbaugh has had O’Korn here for three years. If this had happened under Hoke/Borges you would have crucified the coaches

BornInA2

The coaching might have been okay from a game plan standpoint, but it gets a big FAT F for player and position development. We didn't field a competent QB all season, our O line is a swiss cheese of revolving players, and we can't punt or place kick at C-level competence. Nor can we setup a kick or punt return.

rc90

I hope you guys saying rosey things about Harbaugh are right. But what I saw from the offensive line and from the other quarterbacks was not encouraging. I suspect some assistants will be shuffled around, and if that's the case, I hope the corporate spin is ignored.

Amaznbluedoc

A loss is a loss, but wtf was that play calling? Having a guy who can’t throw, chuck one deep across the middle against a two deep safety d? Sorry, but it felt like the oc was saying f.u. To the fans and the players who played their hearts out.

umumber1

THis one is all on JH.  Okorn should never EVER be placed in that situation;   he is simply not equipped to play qb at that level.  3 years in and this is what we get?  Pathetic.

bo_lives

Are expectations really so low now that we must shower praise on the coaches for simply not getting obliterated?

I've lost something I'll never get back, I no longer care...After these years of mediocrity followed by the return of our "savior" who seems slightly less than advertised i find myself almost agnostic to michigan football.– AaronStark19

Harbaugh
Turning On Their Players

oaklen

I can't Feel bad for JOK. I can't even imagine what is running through his mind right now.

Wolvie3758

R u Kiidding me?

he and Mettalus lo9st this game..HOK is AWFUL just AWFUl and the worst QB Ive seen at Michigan in 5 decades...Div 2 QB...maybe

myislanduniverse

John O'Korn just isn't a very good quarterback. We return a lot of pieces next year, and thankfully he isn't one of them.

My great American novel will be entitled If Not for John O'Korn. – OwenGoBlue

O'Korn
Poor Loser

Dvoltzwolverine

I'm going to be honest. I hate losing to those ass holes 

Reality Bites

DHughes5218

We were out-scored 31-6 after the first quarter. They were better than us at more than one position.

ransom

Here's to us

The new lovable losers. Sigh. Oh well at least my anger faded in 10 minutes this year.

Perkis-Size-Me

“Better days are ahead.”

We’ve said that every year since RichRod’s first year. And this program is yet to truly break through.

CoverZero

3 seasons in:

This team is 9-7 in the past 16 games, losing vs. any team that is decently good.

There has been an inability to develop a solid QB, outside of transfer Jake Ruddock.

There has been an inability to develop a solid OL, which is doubly hurtful due to the slow style of the archaic "NFL" offense.

The team is prone to folding under pressure in big games.

AVERAGE PROGRAM 27-43 VS OSU IN MODERN ERA. 17 OF LAST 20 YRS W 3 OR 4 LOSSES.– Mannix

Owned

The Delusional
Crazy.

Too bad that Delany is deciding the outcome and not the players.  That gets you OSU blown the fuck out in the playoffs like last year. – Deez Nuts

Signs Of Intelligence

Bigly yuge

I am so sick and tired of losing to osu. Their new QB will be better than Barrett bc he can actually throw the football. I love Jim Harbaugh, but he only beat Oregon one time while at Stanford, and is now 1-5 against our rivals here at UM. People blame youth...osu’s young team last year had no problem making the playoffs,. At some point the excuses have to end. Every fucking year this blog says, “better days ahead”. Still waiting for those better days....

Ohio State has better players and better coaches. I hate it, but it's true.– OldBlueVa

Losing

John Cooper went 2–10–1 in The Game. Rich Rod, Brady Hoke and Jim Harbaugh are a combined 1–10. Never thought I'd say it, but edge Cooper.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 59 Comments