Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Great Article About the End of Glenville Pipeline

+10 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
November 20, 2017 at 10:27am
36 Comments

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/11/chris_worley_and_erick_smith_t.html

Great article by Cleveland.com journalist Bill Landis. The Glenville pipeline has been discussed on these boards before. Here is a link to a previous thread talking about it. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-recruiting/2017/04/81874/what-happened-to-the-glenville-tarblooders-pipeline-to-ohio-state

Even though it has been discussed, I thought this article was worth showing, since for the foreseeable future, a Glenville product won't be playing in the Shoe, now that Worley and Smith will graduate. If you don't feel like reading it, the main points are this:

• Chris Worley and Erick Smith are the only Glenville players on OSU's team. Also, none are in the class for next year. 
  • Only 1 other Glenville product is in the power 5 right now, that is sophomore Frank Sumpter, who ironically plays for Illinois. In 2014, there were 13 Glenville players in the Power 5.

I am by no means one of those "Ohio State needs to recruit more kids from Ohio!!!" screamers. And even then, it isn't anything to do with OSU's recruiting strategy. As some comments in the other thread show, there just isn't Power 5 level talent coming out of there anymore. But it is sad, and does deserve a moment of recognition as the end of an era.  In summary, here are some guys that came from Glenville. You may recognize a few names. 

• Troy Smith
  • Donte Whitner
  • Ted Ginn
  • Bryant Browning
  • Ray Small
  • Jermale Hines
  • Marcus Hall (Perfect time to mention his name IMO)
  • Christian Bryant
  • Cardale Jones
  • Chris Worley
  • Erick Smith
  • Marshon Lattimore. 

In closing, when I was younger and didn't follow recruiting like I do now, I got all of my info from my dad. And if he would tell me, "That kid is from Glenville", I knew he was probably going to be a stud. The young kids in the future will probably always hear about St. Aquinas Florida, as it has been the recent pipeline and probably will continue to produce talent (Bosas, Arnette, and Grimes). But we can't forget about that school from Cleveland that was a huge part of the Buckeyes success over a good part of a decade and a half.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments