Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Martell May be the Perfect Fit for the Meyer/Wilson Offense

+2 HS
buckeye phi's picture
January 27, 2017 at 1:28pm
6 Comments

Just stumbled across a very good article about Tate Martell by Tyler Donohue of Bleacher Report.  Donohue goes in to pretty good detail regarding Martell's accomplishments thus far.  But more importantly, he examines how Martell could be the ideal fit for a UFM offense. 

Erik Richards, the U.S. Army All-American Bowl national recruiting director, says doubters could be humbled in coming years. 

And later in the piece.

"We can't recall a high school or college quarterback who runs the zone read to the precision that he runs it," Richards said. "It's going to be hard to keep him off the field because he fits Ohio State's offense, and he runs it better than Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett. You do not know if Tate has the ball or the running back has the ball."

Beyond the wins, stats and size, Martell's smarts make him such a captivating quarterback recruit. Few high school passers have ever been as dialed in to the dimensions of an offensive attack.

I thought this was a particularly interesting observation regarding the new offensive coaches.

This staff shuffle could actually work to Martell's advantage. In many ways, he'll be on an even level with veterans when it comes to schematic understanding.

"The hard part is picking up the offense, and learning it front to back," Martell said. "Where you're going with the ball on blitzes and calling protections. That's what you have to do. That's why I'm [enrolling early], so I can figure that stuff

All-in-all, I thought it was an excellent article about one of our brightest new prospects -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments