Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Vengance For The Cooper Years

+5 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture
November 26, 2016 at 11:06pm
31 Comments

I am one of the fortunate ones, for I was merely a toddler during the final five seasons of John Cooper's tenure. Yet, even though I did not experience the heartbreak firsthand that you gallant Buckeyes did, I could still feel the anguish of becoming keenly aware of the multiple seasons where the Bucks were one win away from playing for a championship, only to be spoiled by the hands of the piss and blue. I wish not to even imagine what I would've felt during those seasons.
But ever since Jim Tressel came about, and was eventually succeeded by Urban Meyer, the Buckeyes have prevailed in fourteen of the previous sixteen encounters against Michigan. During this span, Ohio State has won two National Championships, while Michigan has merely two victories against their arch rivals. Since 2002, Ohio State has lost eighteen conference games, while Michigan has lost thirteen times to the Buckeyes alone in that same span. These are the facts that cannot be restated enough.
And yet, with this dominance over their arch rivals, there simply hasn't been a true "bittersweet" victory, per se, over Michigan, one that demoralized their high hopes, and ruined the end to their season, simply because they haven't been in that position, with the exception being in 2006. That all changed today. All Michigan had to do was beat OSU, and win next week in the B1G Championship, and they would have a prime opportunity at a National Title; those dreams were dashed by the youngest team in FBS.
Now that Harbaugh seems to have Michigan back into national prominence, it seems that Michigan will be relevant until his departure, meaning that they will be competing for B1G and National Championships. However, they will be experiencing a similar issue that OSU faced this season: replacing a ton of starters. They will be replacing eight offensive starters, and the entire starting defense and special teams (thanks Remy for the info.). That's actually more starters than what the Bucks had to replace this season.
So this, in effect, seems to have been the Wolverines' best chance to finally defeat the Bucks, and they let it slip through their fingertips, not only losing The Game, but choking away an opportunity at a National Championship, ala 2006.
This is now twice in the past ten seasons that OSU cost Michigan a National Title opportunity, and there may be even more chances to come in future contests. Folks, I believe it is apt to deem this now as Michigan's "Cooper Years", and I am loving every moment of their demise, and you all shall join me in the schadenfreude.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments