Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Reasons the Buckeyes Won't Repeat - Refuted

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
January 24, 2015 at 10:05pm
75 Comments

I was reading a post on another site recently in which the author listed some reasons why the Buckeyes will not repeat as national champions next season.  At first, I couldn't believe the pessimistic attitude - especially right after our amazing championship run.  Then I remembered I wasn't within the friendly confines of 11W.  "Nattering nabobs of negativism" still abound elsewhere.

The four reasons we won't repeat were:

1)  Florida State

Believe it or not, the first reason they gave was that because Florida State didn't repeat - we wouldn't be able to either.  Other than the fact that repeating has historically been unlikely, there is obviously some seriously flawed logic involved in that kind of reasoning.  

Sure, FSU had some key players returning, but to my thinking that's where the similarities end.  It seems to me, Urbz and his staff run a much more disciplined operation that Jimbo's clown show down in Tallahassee.  Plus, Jameis Winston's escapades had to be a distraction, at the very least.  Who knows - there might have been an element of Karma involved, as well. 

In any case, I can't imagine an Ohio State team ever folding up like the Seminoles did in the second half of the Rose Bowl.  Remember, they only turned the ball over to the Ducks one more time than we did.  But their clear lack of effort late in that game should have been embarrassing.

2)  Three quarterbacks.

In a variation of the old expression:  "if you have two quarterbacks, you don't really have any", the idea is that three is even worse.

Again - this logic is seriously flawed.  We have three quarterbacks who are all great in their own right.  That expression is more associated with a lack of stand-out ability.

Besides, based on how all the injury rehabbing goes, we may - or may not - actually have three experienced QBs fighting for the job by fall camp.

3)  Staying hungry

Keeping the competititive edge that got the team to the championship this season is a concern going in to next season.  Team chemistry cab be a nebulous thing, too

To me, though - this could almost have been lumped in with our lack of similarity to FSU.  Urbz has coached championship teams before.  If anyone knows how to keep the team focused, it's him.

4)  Tom Herman

Contrary to some of the other 'reasons', this one could be a legitimate concern.  Coach Herman was a deserving winner of the 2014 Broyles Award.  He will be missed.

But Ed Warriner is a heck of a coach - and, of course, we still have Urbz.  If they have faith in Tim Beck, I suppose that should be good enough for the rest of us.

So - those were the arguments that were presented against us defending our national championship - and my counters to them.  But I'm sure there are some things I didn't think of.  I'd be curious to find out what my 11W bretheren think -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 75 Comments