Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

looking forward to 2014-15

0 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture
March 20, 2014 at 11:39pm
26 Comments

The best thing to do in a time like this is to just look forward and pretend like it never happened....so with that said, let's look forward to next year.

PG:  Shannon Scott, Senior; D'Angelo Russell, Freshman- I think it is going to be interesting to see how the offense runs with Scott and Russell.  It seemed at times this year, scUM game in the B1G for example, that the offense seemed to flow better this year w/Scott at the helm instead of Craft.  Russell is going to bring an element that we haven't seen at PG since the days of Mike Conley, except he is a better shooter but a lesser defender.  Hopefully Scott can improve his consistency in his outside shot and his free throws.

SG:  Amadeo Della Valle, Junior; Kam Williams, Redshirt Freshman; Jae'sean Tate, Freshman- This is a position that frightens me a little.  I don't think ADV is starter material, either offensively or defensively.  Kam is still an unknown at this point, and Tate is a freshman so who knows what we'll get there.  Ultimately I would like to see Kam step up and take this spot as he can score from outside, score off the dribble and can drive as well.  He is a little undersized for a SG but I think he is our best option.

SF:  Sam Thompson, Senior; Keita Bates-Diop, Freshman; This might be the position that brings the most excitement in the next year or 2.  Thompson has shown flashes of being a guy who can be a leader for this team.  Consistency with his jumper(seems to be a recurring theme here) is something I'd like to see, but his ability to get to the hole is a plus.  He also needs to work on his free throw shooting, but you can apply this to almost anyone on the team.  KBD is a guy who I think is going to make an instant impact.  He, like Williams, can shoot, drive and create his own shot.  He will be a matchup nightmare as he is 6'7 and should grow another inch or 2.  If LQR decides to leave early, he will see more time at the 4 instead of the 3.

PF/4:  LaQuinton Ross, Senior; Marc Loving, Sophomore- I really hope someone gets in LQR's ear and convinces him to stay.  This kid has a ton of potential, which makes him so frustrating as he rarely puts it all together for long stretches at a time. He can hit the outside shot, can dribble/drive and create his own shot and works hard in the post to score.  His defense, or lack thereof, is a major problem as he is consistently getting beat.  If he comes back we can be a contender; if not things may get interesting.  McLovin started out playing well but seemed to hit a wall and wasn't the same down the stretch.  The talent/potential is obvious, but he has a lot of growing to do, and I mean that mentally.  His basketball IQ is less than stellar.  He does have a lot of upside, though.  He can occasionally hit the outside shot, has the size to be an inside threat and can hit free throws.  He has a lot of growing to do, but I think he can be a valuable backup to LQR and will hopefully grow enough to take that starting role in 2015-16.

C:  Amir Williams, Senior; Trey McDonald, Senior; Dave Bell, Freshman- Ugh.  I mean, seriously, ugh.  Honestly, part of me thinks Amir will not even be back next year.  I hope that A) Dave Bell progresses quickly and 2) Myles Turner picks tOSU.  We need a dominant big man in the worst way.

Well there ya have it, one simple man's opinion about next year's basketball Buckeyes.  Let me know what you guys are thinking and where I'm right or wrong.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments