College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Are You a "real" Fan if You Didn't Attend a Particular School?

+8 HS
milhouse4588's picture
February 9, 2022 at 9:53am
178 Comments

A bit of background:

I grew up rooting for OSU since I could understand the concept of being a fan. My dad, uncle, and other family members graduated from Ohio State. I did not, I only attended one summer semester at the end of my college career to get credits that could transfer so I could graduate from my school (Union College in NY).

I live in Atlanta now and my group of buddies have an ongoing, slightly tongue-in-cheek discussion that essentially says I can not be a "real" fan of OSU because I didn't graduate from there. Alumni are real fans, can be inclusive when they talk about their team "we won the Rose Bowl", etc.

I disagree because I've been a lifelong fan which is longer than any of them have been fans of the schools they attended.

Which brings me to the question: In college sports, what determines the legitimacy of one's "fandom"?

Obviously bandwagon fans exist and I don't believe they are legitimate fans because they are outspoken about it only when a team is doing well, or they switch allegiances when convenient.

What say you?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 178 Comments