College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Does ND Back in to the Playoffs with Upsets This Weekend?

+6 HS
I'm Ron Burgundy's picture
November 30, 2021 at 3:51pm
50 Comments

Curious why the entire world thinks ND should be next in line for the CFP if any of TTUN, Cincy, Bama, OK St lose this weekend.  In all of the chaos scenario threads, that get voted to oblivion like I am sure this thread will, we all just assume ND is going to take the 3-4 spot if Bama, Cincy and/or OK St lose.  Let's just take a glance at ND's schedule and wins.  Here are their 3 "quality" wins per committee criteria (anybody with a winning record):

7-5 Toledo (Home) by 3 pts (super impressive I know)
8-4 Purdue (Home) by 14 pts
8-4 Wisconsin (neutral) by 29  (very flukey 4th quarter in that game)

That's it folks.  That is the only 3 teams they beat who have a winning record. Purdue and Wisconsin will be on the very fringes of the top 25. This so called dominant November they've played has been against 3 3-9 teams (Navy, GT, and Stanford) and a 6-6 team who was missing their star QB (UVA).  Me thinks any other team in the top 10 would have been just as "dominant" against that finishing schedule.

Even if Cincy loses, I do not know how with a straight face the committee could justify putting ND ahead of Cincy, with the head to head, and the severe lack of quality wins for ND.

Add in the fact their coach just left them in the middle of the night, and it would be a travesty if this ND team made it into the top 4 under pretty much any circumstances.

I know. No one cares. But the more I look at this, I am not convinced OSU should drop below ND tonight in the rankings.  But obviously they will.  The committee is way too high on ND.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 50 Comments