College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Former Ohio St. QB Commit Tristen Wallace's Oregon Expulsion Article

+11 HS
1MechEng's picture
December 13, 2019 at 8:40am
52 Comments

Source: Yahoo

There are a couple of times under Urban Meyer that I think we dodged a bullet in recruiting some kids who went astray either right before or right after they started their college career. Fort Wayne DE Auston Robertson is one. LB Brenton Cox is another.

It seems that our QB of the future in 2016, Tristen Wallace (who later flipped and enrolled as a WR at Oregon), had been expelled from Oregon for 2 alleged sexual assaults (rapes!), and is now finishing his degree at Prairie View A&M. 

The issue isn't necessarily that Wallace would have sullied OSU's name and ruined the image of the Buckeye football team, although that aspect may be true. The larger problem is how the NCAA is not requiring institutions to fully note the reasons for expulsion on a transcript. This issue opens a loophole where students can have their record "sanitized" (show an expulsion, but with no details) and it will only minimally affect their ability to transfer and play athletics elsewhere, as Wallace has done at PVA&M.

The article is an interesting read. I'm glad we didn't have to deal with this mess, but the real concern is how this type of "cover-up" seems to be fairly commonplace with large schools. This type of crime (sexual assault, harassment, etc,) and punishment is what Title IX is supposed to deal with fairly and fully, but it seems handcuffed instead. I'm sure that our staff is adequately vetting both incoming freshman and transfer players, but other schools are not as fortunate in recruiting, and may take these kids despite their history and risk. At what point do you give someone who is expelled for a sexual assault a second chance? Is a change of scenery and some counseling enough?

I wonder if Ohio State's transcript for Brian Snead includes the reason for his expulsion (also a sexual assault), or if it has been tempered to show the discipline only (and not the crime)?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 52 Comments